North Andros [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: North Andros

Gseries69
05-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Looking for info for a friend honeymooning on North Andros. Time of year will be late June/early July. He and his wife will be staying at Kamalame on the east side at Staniard Creek close to Davis Creek. He will be doing some DIY and some guiding at Joulters Cay.

Wondering about expectations that time of year, ie numbers and size of bones, other fish available, best flies and lines to use, and any other tips or tactics that could be helpful. I would put his skill level at intermediate.

Thanks

juro
05-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Wow lucky guy!

risingtide
05-04-2010, 07:44 PM
I was on the middle cay, Mangrove Cay, about 3 weeks ago and caught some nice bones. I used a #2 tan and white clouser, sparsely ties, with pink thread and also used a #2 super gotcha and had great luck. I found most in 3 feet of water on the tail end of an incoming tide. They were from 4-6 pounds. Hope this helps.
Dan

bonefishmon
05-04-2010, 10:08 PM
I've visited Kamalame. The flats out back are nice but get pounded pretty hard if he wants to DIY it there. He'd do best pulling off the road in beach areas close by and wait for the incoming ambush. Tell him to have the guide take him to the West side from Red Bay if conditions are favorable. Jolters are overated IMHO and get pounded hard by the mother ships. I did not do well there.

Phil

Gseries69
05-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks guys. This will be very helpful.

bonefishmon
05-05-2010, 10:03 AM
The beach south of Stafford Creek fishes well. Forfar Field Station on Blanket sound. It was the first dive resort on Andros. Google Earth has it covered.

Phil

Dave17
05-05-2010, 01:45 PM
That time of year I'd spend a lot more time fishing close to open water. Any flats that aren't in close proximity to open water are going to get steaming hot and will probably keep fish away.

petevicar
05-06-2010, 11:20 AM
I have been to Kamalame a few times.
I would think that DIY would be difficult there as the best fishing is not close by.

With the current cost of staying there I would have thought that your friend would have no problem in financing guided fishing.

As Dave17 suggests at that time of year the flats will get very hot so fishing will be best early morning.