Off to Captiva [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Off to Captiva

Eric
04-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Off tomorrow for our annual trip to Captiva Island. From the reports I've seen, the snook are not all dead, but I've been advised not to harm the few that are remaining.

Redfish populations are supposed to be OK, as are the weakfish. And then, there are always my friends the Ladyfish. Should be fun...can't wait.

Rumors of tarpon abound, also (taken with a Pine Island Sound-size grain of salt); bait is supposed to be present in reasonable numbers.

Cheers,

Eric

risingtide
04-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey Eric,

I live near Captiva and fished South Matlacha today. I saw one 30+ inch snook sunning herself along the mangraoves. The wind was 20-30 out of the south and wouldn't you know it when I cast my fly the wind gusted and knocked it down. The snook meandered into the mangroves (high tide). Hooked another but it through the hook. I was using a white clouser. The water temp. is 76 degrees and getting warmer.
You should definately stop by Norm Zeigler's fly shop, next to the Sanibel Bean, and get the latest info. Not sure if the snook are on the beaches yet, probably to early to see them in numbers. Let me know how it goes.

Dan

risingtide
04-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Eric,
I belong to the Sanibel Fly Fishing club and just received a report. They are catching trout and spanish mackeral off the causeway. Try and rent a kayak and look for birds diving bait or fish the sea grass just off the beach

Dan

Eric
04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Many thanks, Dan. Should be there tomorrow. Has Dry Pass been reopened?

risingtide
04-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Its Blind Pass and yes it's re-opened. I have actually been thinking about going there for some night tarpon. Talked to some people fishing (spin reel) and they have pulled out some sharks, catfish and afew tarpon but that was about 2 months ago. Heard that tarpon are in the Caloosahatchee River. Talk to Norm Zeigler, he has a good grasp of what and where people are hooking up.

Eric
05-04-2010, 01:41 AM
OK, I'm Back.

Had a wonderful time on Captiva, although the fishing was very poor for us. When we arrived, we had a strong wind out of the west, which piled surf to the extent that I absolutely got clobbered huge-ass-over-teakettle trying to fling pinfish imitations out into the Gulf (NB: wet passports are still accepted at SW Florida International). Overnight, the wind shifted to the south, southwest and we had shell-slurry to drag out flies through for the rest of the trip. Honest to God, it reminded me of fishing in a glacier-fed river in Summer -- Country Gravy).

The anglers staying at our resort who were successful in bringing home the bacon, in this case Sea Trout, were chumming heavily over the grass beds. During our time there, we heard of no reds being caught. Just seatrout (and very fine ones, at that--excellent condition and plentiful). Snook were King's X, but we saw none. We did catch a couple of Jack Crevalle and Gaff-Top Sail catifsh, plus the accidental pinfish or midget mangrove snapper. But, hey, we had fun, snook or no snook. Can't wait until next year.

Eric

Eric
05-04-2010, 01:45 AM
And one more thing: Blind Pass, newly re-opened, is incredible for shelling, should you need a diversion for wives or girlfriends or both during a stay on Sanibel Captiva.

Eric

PS: Blind Pass is a very accessible place to fish. Nothing there while I was there, but overwhelming in potential. If you're going to Sanibel/Captiva, fish it!

risingtide
05-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Eric,
It was a terrible week for fly fishing, the wind just did not let up. I plan on parking my boat outside Blind Pass on an outgoing tide for tarpon this weekend, if the wind lets up. I also think it would be productive to fish the beach at Blind Pass at night as well.
Did you get a chance to stop at Zeigler's fly shop?

Dan

Eric
05-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Hi, Dan,

Didn't get to stop at Zeigler's due to wanting to be on the water as much as possible during our too short stay. We plan to go back this week next year, with hopes that snook will be on the beaches, and there may be a few poons around. I really like redfish and was disappointed on that score sorely. I don't know if redfish are available in early May, but I hope to find out.

I'll definitely stop in at Zeigler's next year. I was thinking of booking a guide for a beach snook sortie. Are there are guides you'd recommend?

While I was pestering Ladyfish at Blind Pass, Sanibel side, two fly fishers walked by and chatted briefly. They headed down the beaches and out of sight, only to return a couple of hours later. Is there good fishing between Blind Pass entrance and Bowman Beach?

Man, I love the area. Fishing was bad, but our couples foursome was totally refreshed by our stay. Best fishing trip without fish I can remember.

Cheers,

Eric

risingtide
05-05-2010, 05:34 PM
There are still plenty of redfish around. A friend of mine at my school caught a 27" last week. Usually, this time of the year is incredible, its just that weather has been horific. I was actually going to take tomorrow off but the wind will be a little stronger than I like and tarpon have yet to show up in numbers.
I have fished Bowman's a lot and have had little luck, probably the best place for shelling though. I caught a lot of snook about 2 mile south of there; just about any white fly will do. Many people fish a Schminnow, very easy to tie. The Bait Box on Sanibel has a few good guides, one isWhitney Jones. Let me know when you come down next year and I should be able to take you out.
Dan

Eric
05-05-2010, 08:47 PM
That would be wonderful. I'll look forward to it!

Cheers,

Eric