Striper scouting report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Striper scouting report

juro
04-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Nada from Chatham to West Yarmouth by my efforts. There are probably a few fish nosing into town along with the holdovers but my guess is with this last cold front it's going to be another 1-2 weeks before we see the bulk of the migration pull into town.

Flora-wise not much is in bloom but a handful of nursery "stocked" apple and cherry trees probably responding to chemicals. All the thick trunked perennial cherry trees are still in buds not blooms and most trees are bare.

Water temps are frigid and wind is north and not expected to be SW until Wednesday. I don't see any of those silversides that were here before the cold snap.

Stopped by Nickerson and talked to a large number of trout anglers with zero luck. BTW there is a $10,000.00 tagged salmon in Cliff Pond.

juro
04-21-2010, 05:30 AM
I'm betting there will be a few around this weekend.

FredA
04-21-2010, 06:22 AM
I'll be busy with yard cleanup, cutting up fallen trees and brush, yada, yada. But I might take a break and swing a fly for sh!ts and giggles. May 1st seems to be the nominal timing for that first tug though.

Guernseybass
04-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Do 28" and 31" fish holdover ?

Another site has pics from a south side river on Monday...

I am with Fred though - May 1st will be my first outing in the salt, this weekend it's NH or MA trout for me and packing the house up.

Redfisher
04-21-2010, 02:12 PM
I've seen pictures of even larger bass caught in Massachusetts during the winter months ( by people I believe ), but they are not easy to find and not easy to catch.

My boat was launched last week and I finally got out for a run this morning. Checked out the Tub and Morris Island channel but saw nothing on the fish finder or on the end of my line. Water temperature was 52 degrees per the fish finder.

It's just a matter of days till they get here!

Dan

Guernseybass
04-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Was that 52F in the channel ?

juro
04-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Even if they aren't holdovers there are always a few scouts of every size especially with the herring starting to show and some early small bait arrivals. They are definitely finning their way to the area each passing day brings the migration closer and closer...

What I consider is time invested vs. results yielded, shellfish are awful good right now.

http://flyfishingforum.com/destinations/capecod/chatham/mussels.jpg
steamed young Chatham mussels

Redfisher
04-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Guernseybass

Yes. 52 F in the channel.

I found 58 F water in upper Pleasant Bay a couple of days ago while fishing from shore. But, alas, no fish. I'm sure there are some holdovers up there but it might not have been the right stage of the tide. It was incoming and at this time of the year I prefer outgoing. I have heard rumors of fish being caught in Pleasant Bay.

Dan

artsaw
04-21-2010, 05:30 PM
I agree with Fred. May 1st seems to be the first arrivals, but I have caught numbers of fish the last week in April, actually 4/27.
Thursday and friday I'll be catching the late tides in the upper cape.
With the water warming up this fast I feel pretty confiden
it will be a successful trip. I'll report back.

Art

FredA
04-22-2010, 11:20 AM
http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=MEDIA0306

Looks like the herring are making there way up Paines/Stony creek to do there thing.

juro
04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I am SURE they will be on the south side this weekend / next week. I won't be there until Sunday but aim to prove the cherry blossom theory for the Nth consecutive year.

Rip Ryder
04-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Schoolies are in Mill Pond at Bridge St. in Chatham, also saw a few schoolies breaking in Stage Harbor entrance mid morning after launching our new boat. Couple of guys were making the walk down this afternoon from the refuge stairs to Stage Harbor.

Small signs, but good signs.

Capt Keith

Penguin
04-24-2010, 08:13 PM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/PhishLipz3a.jpg

juro
04-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Schoolies in oyster river today

Adrian
04-25-2010, 06:15 PM
I just had to get out to day and headed down to the Housatonic estuary. This place is very tide dependent - the bigger the tide, the better the fishing. Today was slow but my first striper of 2010 measured 25 inches :D

One more very small fish was all I had to show for 4 hours+ but my season is now officially open :smokin:

martinc
04-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Plenty of schoolies around Pt. Judith, RI and almost as many fishermen.

Martin

Penguin
04-27-2010, 09:19 PM
'Got Striped fish smell on my handz today at the top of the tide somewhere on the south side of the Cape of Cod...
Chilly, windy, and all to myself... game on...

Tajue17
04-28-2010, 06:54 AM
4/17 we got 15 schoolies up to 19" throwing pretty much everything until slack tide in the agawam river,, they where only hitting flys as the conventional guys got no hits on bait or plugs.

4/25 I fished saturday and sunday morning and night from Plymouth harbor to Hull gut (local) and caught nadda..

sorry no water temp.

PEC54
04-28-2010, 11:33 AM
North of Falmouth,south of the canal west end,along Buzzards bay had fish to 30 " this morning.:D :chuckle: :hihi: :biggrin:

Guernseybass
04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
4/17 we got 15 schoolies up to 19" throwing pretty much everything until slack tide in the agawam river,, they where only hitting flys as the conventional guys got no hits on bait or plugs.

yup, same thing last Saturday, but I fished the slack tide up :hihi:

There are dozens and dozens of reports of keepers taken all over - from Boston to the mid cape.

juro
04-28-2010, 03:14 PM
The freight train's a rollin' now! Must be those cherry blossoms :)

martinc
04-28-2010, 04:00 PM
There are dozens and dozens of reports of keepers taken all over - from Boston to the mid cape.

I fished in RI last Sunday. I was surprised at the size of some of the fish. In prior years, I don't seem to remember as many good size fish this early in the season.

Martin

PEC54
04-29-2010, 12:21 AM
The freight train's a rollin' now! Must be those cherry blossoms :)

lilacs:razz:

juro
04-29-2010, 06:09 AM
Paul you know I'd agree with that. I noticed that the cherry blossoms sprouted before there were solid numbers on the cape this year, although there were stripers around. The lilacs were only in half bloom where I was so this year would be accurate. The only thing is I barely know what a lilac is :)

petevicar
04-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Today in sunny Germany it is 28 C. That is 82F.:)

Tomorrow it is forecast to drop to 15C (59F).

The weather is seriously screwed up. However everything is in bloom.:)

I am off to Toronto tomorrow for a few days with my wife - 25th wedding anniversary.

Gseries69
04-29-2010, 09:54 AM
I had 8 inches of snow on my deck yesterday morning. Saturday it's supposed to hit 80 degrees.

I'm up in the air about this weekend. Are there enough stripers around to make a 4 hour drive worth it?

Going to swing for steelhead next weekend so mid May will likely be my first trip down to the Cape.

titleguy
04-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Joe- We'll be in Chatham 5/15-5/19 with a motley group of Mainers, Vermonters and the token Ma$$holes.:chuckle: Beware The Squire.

highway61
04-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Launching my new yak in the Housie last friday, I caught a half a dozen schoolies the largest being 24". Let the fun begin!!

Steve

martinc
04-30-2010, 05:35 AM
This was posted on RI Stripermoon Forum yesterday

http://www.stripermoon.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2660#post2660

Martin

juro
05-01-2010, 10:13 AM
South side action picking up

boatdrinks
05-03-2010, 07:46 AM
it's the right time for all the little southside estuary/rivers

juro
05-03-2010, 08:25 AM
So I noticed the lilac bushes (trees?) have not completely bloomed but the migration (keeper fish) has begun on the outer beaches over the past week. Just sayin' ;)

lilacs:razz:

PEC54
05-03-2010, 08:55 AM
So I noticed the lilac bushes (trees?) have not completely bloomed but the migration (keeper fish) has begun on the outer beaches over the past week. Just sayin' ;)
It all really comes down to "they get here when they get here",I think it depends on your location as the lilac bushes are in full bloom on the upper cape.:D

juro
05-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Good point, Chatham's got that air conditioning thing going on. I had to drive up to Boston last night (pure hell getting off cape) but there was a big difference in temperature.

Tajue17
05-03-2010, 11:12 AM
think more north is a little chilly,, I fished the Hull Gut, back river and foreriver and nothing but hear the herring where showing on the fish finders but boaters going by,, water still felt pretty cold in the gut,,,, did not see anyone else with anything.

south is the way to go!