Spring Special [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spring Special

OC
04-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Spring in Oregon can be really amazing rain or shine even snow. Consider this dinner, early morning caught bright silver summer run steelhead, first summer fish of year. Four pounds of fresh Morchella esculentas picked before noon from around the cottonwoods on our farm. Last, fresh wild asparagus picked yesterday out on one of the low islands in the Columbia River. Springer fishing opens tomorrow in our area and some fish are showing up early, I've never caught one on a fly rod but maybe this year I'll try after all there is 500,000 of them this year. Another great thing here in Hood River is the removal of the dam started yesterday on the Hood River. Early start will include removal of all exterior hardware, cranes, railings and plumbing. Next will be the bypass channel and in late July contractors will have 3 weeks to remove dam before fall fish show up. The removal will open up about 6 more miles of river for fishing and that will be very special for those of us living up river in places like Dee. Another good thing is that with construction work started all roads to the river have been closed down so the only way in is to walk and most are too lazy to walk in one mile. I've bought a driveway about 1/4 mile from river in an Orchard for a 12 pack of Pacifico so that will help keep the felt on the wadding boots. Should have the river mostly to myself till snow melt happens in a month or so and fishing becomes impossible with a fly. Oregon really is a great spot and we are glad we have become a part of this culture. It may not be sailing the South Pacific but Oregon sure is special. Hope to see some of you at the Sandy Clave. :smokin:

juro
04-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Damn if that doesn't get me out there I don't know what will... sounds great OC.

KerryS
04-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Spring in Oregon can be really amazing rain or shine even snow. Oregon really is a great spot and we are glad we have become a part of this culture. It may not be sailing the South Pacific but Oregon sure is special.

OC,

I think you would make anyplace you are living special.

OC
04-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Tracy caught her first ever steelhead today. Nice bright winter hatchery hen about 5 pounds. She really gave me a hard time about catching the only fish this morning and wanted to know where was the 80 hours per fish I'd told her about. She better be careful or I won't take her again. :roll:

juro
04-26-2010, 05:53 AM
hehehe

NICE

OC
05-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Though I wish I was back on the cape fishing stripas, then eating dinner and drinking with the gang. I will not complain about today here in Oregon. Sunny, warm and little wind for a change. Worked in garden from 6am till 0900 then to the river. River low and clear couldn't see any fish in the wide end run of river but fished anyway. No one fishing, 300 meters of the run to myself. Twenty minutes in after quick fish through back to the top of run and bang, fish to the waker. Bright beyond belief and made 5 or 6 sideways jumps the one where their tail never leaves the river and some how stays airborne. Beautiful wild hen about 7 pounds, I watched her swim 30 feet back into deeper water after release. It's not walking the flats of the bay but it's not bad, eh. The season here does not close year round and their is always bright fish. Spey clave tomorrow will head over and say hi to the boys and get some help on the rod, rusty as hell. Might even look at a 7/8, 13.5 Berkinhimer to use on the big D this summer. Hope some of you make it to the clave.