Problems with "New Posts" [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Problems with "New Posts"

petevicar
04-14-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't know where to post this so it's here, the most general heading.

In the past few days or so when I click the "New Posts" button I get the message: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Even though I know that there are posts I have not read.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Just now I received notification via email of a new post, on clicking the button the same thing happens:(

juro
04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Sounds like your cookies are messed up. It works here. Try clearing your cookies and temp files. Do you use IE or Firefox?

petevicar
04-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I use Safari.

juro
04-14-2010, 03:59 PM
What happens if you click "last 24 hours" at the top of the page?

petevicar
04-14-2010, 04:41 PM
That seems to work.

juro
04-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Had a chance to test w/ IE, Firefox and Safari. Only Safari has this problem. I recommend downloading firefox for Mac.

petevicar
04-15-2010, 01:26 AM
It is strange that it has only happened in the past week or so. I have been using Safari for years and have not had any problem.

juro
04-15-2010, 07:13 AM
Its possible that a recent MacOS update installed some cache feature that causes this in Safari, not sure. However I get the same problem on my Snow Leopard 10x Mac OS (recently updated).

Firefox is an excellent browser and the same on both MacOS and Windows. It has good security and excellent add-ons for instance fireftp (which is free).

I need both platforms almost every day so I use Firefox and if not for the color difference (white vs black) and applications that pop-up I wouldn't know which machine I was browsing on.

petevicar
04-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Ok Juro.
I agree it may be caused by a recent update to Safari.

thanks.

Pete

bonefishmon
04-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Pete. I have OSX 10.5.8 and have had zero problems with Safari and reading posts. I have not done the latest software update. Maybe that helped.

Phil

juro
04-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Hey you Rhody guys - shoo some of those fresh stripers up here now!

petevicar
04-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Hey Phil
If you upgrade to Snow Leopard nothing works properly to begin with, You need to update/upgrade nearly every program including a lot of standard Apple things.

Pete

martinc
04-15-2010, 04:43 PM
This question has nothing to do with internet browsers - sorry. I'm just curious about the picture next to your user name. It looks like you are standing in a shallow flat with a very big fish. Is that an actual photo?

Martin

petevicar
04-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Yes :razz:

juro
04-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Photoshop does amazing things for a fisherman's ego :lildevl:

martinc
04-15-2010, 07:49 PM
I see. He posted some pictures of big bonefish in Los Roques a while ago. He must have used photoshop for that too :)

Martin

juro
04-15-2010, 08:59 PM
J/K - Pete is the "real deal" when it comes to sportfishing enthusiasm and a great friend. However his razor-sharp wit makes it impossible for me to pass up a chance to get even :D

petevicar
04-16-2010, 05:39 AM
Most of my pics are Photoshopped. They are straightened, cropped and adjusted for light/shade and colour.
Even though I am pretty proficient with Photoshop, I have never adjusted the size of a fish:tsk_tsk:
Maybe I should try.:lildevl:
The truth is that I have done a great deal of tropical saltwater fishing and by the laws of averages I catch a large fish every now and again.:smokin:

petevicar
04-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Photoshop does amazing things for a fisherman's ego :lildevl:

I don't need Photoshop for my ego, it's big enough.:smokin:

bonefishmon
04-16-2010, 09:12 AM
This question has nothing to do with internet browsers - sorry. I'm just curious about the picture next to your user name. It looks like you are standing in a shallow flat with a very big fish. Is that an actual photo?

Martin

That very big fish was a hard earned Giant Trevally which if caught in the Seychelles average 20-30 pounds and can get to 120 pounds. They tend to lurk very close to coral reefs when sighted on the flats. When hooked you had better be in very good condition to keep them away from the coral heads which often times means seeing no or very little backing. The biggest problem Pete probably had was ignoring the numerous, bigger than average bones tailing nearby! While I confess that I have never caught a giant myself, I have enjoyed Pete's contribution to my dreams of being where he has traveled. Thanks Pete!

Phil

martinc
04-16-2010, 12:19 PM
That very big fish was a hard earned Giant Trevally which if caught in the Seychelles average 20-30 pounds and can get to 120 pounds.

Phil

Thanks for for explaining. I didn't know Trevally could be that size :whoa: . I was puzzled by the size of the fish and the shallowness of the water. Do you know how much the fish weighed?

Pete - I will not ask if your photos are real again :tsk_tsk: .

Martin

petevicar
04-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Hey Martin

That fish was guesstimated at 80lbs+.

I am standing in very shallow water where I finally subdued the fish but if you look closely at the pic you can see that there is a drop off not too far away. I saw and hooked the fish on the edge of the drop off.

Pete

martinc
04-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey Martin

That fish was guesstimated at 80lbs+.

I am standing in very shallow water where I finally subdued the fish but if you look closely at the pic you can see that there is a drop off not too far away. I saw and hooked the fish on the edge of the drop off.

Pete

80 lb+ jack on a fly rod - now that's cool:cool:

I'm glad I asked the question.

Thanks guys,

Martin