Any idea what this is? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Any idea what this is?

petevicar
04-11-2010, 06:31 AM
I am posting this here because I have no idea where it should go.

Last night I found this (not the coin) inside a piece of tuna.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/petevicar/tooth.jpg
It looks like a tooth.
Does anyone know what it could be?

The tuna was excellent, by the way. Coated in sesame seeds, lightly seared and served on a pineapple/coriander salsa with a tomato vinaigrette and curry mayonnaise.

Smcdermott
04-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Pete,

How thick and brittle was it? I'm no expert but I have butchered a few tuna and that just looks like a normal piece of cartilage that you find along the spine/bloodline of the tuna to me.

Sean

petevicar
04-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Sean
It is very hard and not at all brittle.
The edges are like saw blades. In one direction (away from the point) very smooth and in the other like barbs.
It seems to be a tooth like thing that could bite into something and not release it.

Pete

petevicar
04-11-2010, 08:17 AM
After a little research it looks like it could be the tip of a stingray's tail.
If it is then what it is doing inside the flesh of a tuna is a mystery.

Dave17
04-11-2010, 10:21 AM
That was gonna be my guess

striblue
04-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I thought it was a tip of a sting ray also...I am guessing that it was imbeded in a fish that was eaten by a tuna.

Smcdermott
04-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Pete,

Check out this video on fileting a tuna and look at all the fine bones/cartilage that run along the spine that hold the muscle tissue in place...they have fine spines just like that that hold the tissue and are very sharp. Did you ask the chef what it was...local fish market nearby?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RIl5t_H4zA

Sean

pteronarcys
04-12-2010, 01:24 AM
There is no doubt your mystery item is a partial stingray "stinger" - the tip section. Your picture showed the tip and part of the shaft - the rest must have broken off. Usually all you see is the sharp point, as the rest of the "stinger" is sheathed in skin or some substance.

juro
04-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Pete -

Had you been abusing the waitstaff at this place before you ordered? I've heard of spitting in food but this is ridiculous! :lildevl:

(Seriously - glad to hear you did not find it the hard way buddy)

petevicar
04-12-2010, 07:05 AM
I was sitting at the food bar, the restaurant has an open kitchen.
I saw the chef cut the tuna, roll it in sesame etc. He served it himself, like in a sushi bar.

It would have been better if it was a magic ring.:)

juro
04-12-2010, 07:19 AM
It's particularly odd because of where/how each lives. But because of the worldwide demand for tuna it's hard to say where it originated, or even specifically which tuna species it was. Maybe it happened during handling, for instance I just read that a Malaysian sting ray dish is a delicacy served as far away as NYC.

Again, good thing you found it!

petevicar
04-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Juro
Many thanks for your kind words. I trust we can consume a drop of something and smoke to odd Cuban at the Clave.:lildevl:

Pete

striblue
04-12-2010, 10:02 AM
I reread the first post and I originally though it was found in the stomack of the tuna. But it was not. Sean has a good point.... But the tip is what got me and the angle of the barbs. Lucky you did not ingest it or get it caught in your pipes

Smcdermott
04-12-2010, 10:35 AM
After a quick google of the ray stinger I definitely see the resemblance...maybe a pen tuna that got caught up in close quarters with a ray? I agree seems very odd that a ray would get a shot at a fast swimming tuna in the open water.

Bjorn
04-12-2010, 11:02 AM
This one is off on the color, but pretty much spot on in every other way...

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6940/spine2ks2lt1.jpg

Stringray stinger. What a mystery!