What camera are you using while wading flats? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What camera are you using while wading flats?

WW28
04-05-2010, 11:32 AM
I do quite a bit of photography and understand well that its not the camera but the person. I have a few Cannon bodies and lenses from 15mm to 500mm but when wading I just grab my Olympus Stylus tough(older version). However it doesnt have any exposure compensation and inevitably renders the exposure underexposed (algorithim thinks its too bright). I also miss the optical viewfinder (especially with polarized lenses) and it doesnt have an optical zoom. What are you guys carrying for your Acklins wading trips? Lot of well composed, properly exposed pix on here. Thanks.

juro
04-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Despite good intentions on my part, I'm the wrong guy to ask because I take risks for good optical zoom (12x) and features. Mine is not waterproof and I exercise extra caution. I have a drawer full of cheap POS cams whose lives the salt has taken; and more at the bottom of the sea I could not recoup for the collection. There were a few moments where I got stuck in the mud and almost took a faceplant on the next step, camera would not have survived.

All that being said, the good intentions are that I have been studying the options and I will not do this much longer once I decide on the right WP model for me.

doctorsteve
04-05-2010, 03:18 PM
I've got that waterproof Olympus one. I can't remember the model, but it's thin, fits in your pocket and you can take underwater pics. It takes a decent pic too. In the low $200 range.

striblue
04-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I received as aXmas gift an Olympus, Stylus Tough - 8000....Thin and maybe the same that Docsteve is referring to... It also takes underwater pictures. I don't know the price though.

MartyG
04-05-2010, 06:06 PM
I bought a Stylus Tough 8000 a few months ago and I'm very happy with it. It has 4 underwater modes, decent battery life and it's tough. Drop it - no big deal. Makes it a good fit for traveling.

I know nothing about fiddling with the manual setting but hope to pick up some techniques as I use the camera more.

JR SPEY
04-10-2010, 02:06 PM
I do quite a bit of photography and understand well that its not the camera but the person. I have a few Cannon bodies and lenses from 15mm to 500mm but when wading I just grab my Olympus Stylus tough(older version). However it doesnt have any exposure compensation and inevitably renders the exposure underexposed (algorithim thinks its too bright). I also miss the optical viewfinder (especially with polarized lenses) and it doesnt have an optical zoom. What are you guys carrying for your Acklins wading trips? Lot of well composed, properly exposed pix on here. Thanks.

I also miss the viewfinder which is why I still use the old Pentax Opti43WR. Though not technically waterproof it'll survive the typical dunking. You can't hold it underwater for five minutes trying to frame a shot of a fish, however. How are you using polarized lenses (I assume you mean filters as P&S don't have interchangeable lenses?) Using filters costs you better than one full stop of light which might explain your dark photos. If you put the filters in front of the viewfinder in order to get it to look like you want, you have to make sure that it also is covering your light sensor and the actual lens. Otherwise some seriously dark photos will result. I've been told that many P&S cameras have through the lens metering, but that's not the same as your viewfinder. That's why using a polarizer is generally not worth the bother on P&S cameras unless it is specifically designed to accept one. Perhaps some of you have found specific cameras that are easier to use with a polarizer. If so, I'm all ears. And I'm not talking about cameras with no viewfinder. The only way to see the effect through one of those is via the LCD screen. Eventually, the camera companies will come up with an advanced waterproof P&S that'll have a viewfinder and will still be waterproof. It can be done, buy not for $129.00. I'd be more than willing to spend as much as $500.00 for a truly waterproof, compact, point and shoot camera with a viewfinder and a reasonable amount of manual control.

woodtac
04-10-2010, 03:30 PM
A word to the wise with those Olympus cameras--you still have to clean them up after you dunk them in saltwater. They are waterproof, with soft rubber seals around the little "doors" that open to install the memory card and batteries. On mine, I failed to rinse it with fresh water once and some significant corrosion began around the edges of those doors and the recesses into which they fold.

Dave17
04-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I bought the Fuji FinePix for my trip last summer as a back up camera. Great little camera... Completely waterproof, 10 mp, video mode, 3x optical zoom, lots of custom settings. I used it alongside my Canon DSLR and now have trouble telling which photos were taken with which camera. $129..... can't go wrong.

risingtide
04-11-2010, 12:36 PM
I too have the Fuji and find that it is an excellent camera!!