cold water littlenecks [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: cold water littlenecks

juro
04-04-2010, 07:43 PM
are the best quahogs I have ever tasted

After a fairly early dinner I was hungry again late evening and had fresh littlenecks and cherrystones in the fridge - perfect.

So I chopped some shallots, horseradish, hot sauce and cocktail sauce, lemon; also a little cider vinegar and shallots with white wine, all kinds of experimental concoctions even a ginger-miso dressing which was fantastic.

I noticed a few things:

- the top shells crack easier from slight knife pressure when clearing the two adductors even when gentle, summer clams never crack. No biggie, the bottom
shell is fine for the slurping side

- the meat has a texture that is not elastic at all, but firmly meaty and particularly palatable

- they work well with any seasoning, no matter how strong or subtle

- where I usually max out at about 6 littlenecks, I ate a ton stopping only because I felt a little self-conscious at how many I was woofing, not because I was sick of them

- I could eat them at a way larger size than I normally care for in warm water

While digging they were a little deeper down than they usually are, but worth the extra effort. I found most of them while going deep with a hand rake for soft-shells.

There were seed scallops all over the place, I saw thousands. Next year should be good I would think.

Oysters were hard to find in the usual places, not sure why.

I also saw and picked up a lot of juvenile blue crabs in the rake, which I hope means they will be grown up and around this summer.

Clams and crab - the perfect side dish for your favorite gamefish filet grilled :)

nmbrowncom
04-05-2010, 06:01 AM
whew! boy, does your life sound exciting. :redface:

juro
04-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Oh did she let you play on the computer this morning? ;)

I've been corresponding with some forum guys offline about the early season clam season situation, and thought it would be easier to post publicly - I can't fault you for not knowing that.

But after stopping by your place with all of those extra oysters and littlenecks last season, this is the thanks I get? tsk tsk

FYI - you're off the list :lildevl:

juro
04-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Oh and my life? Yes I am considering entering a monastery.

(where's that smiley with the halo?)

PEC54
04-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Call it the church of the ever changing sands,where we will pay homage to the fish gods and pray to the stations of the fish species. Mass will start Sundays predawn and last till Saturday at midnight.

Adrian
04-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I just mailed in my non-resident Chatham shellfish licence renewal - still no increase :smokin:

Contemplating a trip up to the elbow with the rake before the end of the month.

Sounds like packing a rod might be a good idea too :wink:

juro
04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Paul - will my sins be absolved? ;)

Adrian - let me know if you're going to do it.

PEC54
04-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Paul - will my sins be absolved? ;)

Adrian - let me know if you're going to do it.

Of course your sins will be absolved, it's your religion remember you get to set all the rules and regulations. We could relieve ourselves from all religious dogma.:lildevl: But I'm not drinking any koolaid.:chuckle: :tsk_tsk:

nmbrowncom
04-05-2010, 04:40 PM
it wasn't me. someone must've used my name. no really. i'm all about getting those oyster and other freebies. really honest....please. it's not my fault. i'll be good honest, just one more chance.

juro
04-05-2010, 04:45 PM
haha - I guess to save my bacon it takes a few clams (pun intended)

I saw shoals of silversides on the south side today... won't be long now

flydoc
04-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Of course your sins will be absolved, it's your religion remember you get to set all the rules and regulations. We could relieve ourselves from all religious dogma.:lildevl:

Paul- I think I ran over your dogma with my karma while texting on my cell phone:hihi:
Doc

True quote from the head flight attendant on a recent trip I took to Florida (while passengers getting onto the plane in Providence):
"We do have a fully booked flight this morning, so please find a seat, any seat, and get ready for departure. If you don't like the looks of the people sitting next to you, we do sell alcohol on this flight" ;)

Adrian
04-14-2010, 07:22 AM
If anyone is around, I'll be at the elbow Friday through Sunday morning with the rake and fly-rod this week-end.

Of course, as sooon as I booked the hotel, the weather decided to go downhill :hihi:

But water temps look like there may be a few hold-overs out & about and the morning & evening lows with minus tides will set up nice for bi-valves in the morning and swinging a fly in the evening.

Report to follow... :smokin:

juro
04-14-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm headed back to Boston but hope to get back down for the weekend despite the weather, I'll drop you a line either way Adrian.

PEC54
04-14-2010, 10:24 AM
If anyone is around, I'll be at the elbow Friday through Sunday morning with the rake and fly-rod this week-end.

Of course, as sooon as I booked the hotel, the weather decided to go downhill :hihi:

But water temps look like there may be a few hold-overs out & about and the morning & evening lows with minus tides will set up nice for bi-valves in the morning and swinging a fly in the evening.

Report to follow... :smokin:
You may want to stop along the west end ,I'm hearing things.:hihi:

Adrian
04-14-2010, 10:27 AM
You may want to stop along the west end ,I'm hearing things.:hihi:
Should I bring my cruiser? It hasn't been "christened" yet :D

PEC54
04-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Should I bring my cruiser? It hasn't been "christened" yet :D
I think maybe you should , better to iron the kinks out before the real games begin.

juro
04-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Great morning outing with Adrian today, and several dozen to show for it...

1) early bird breakfast at Larrys PX (check)
2) low tide for oceanside mussels (check)
3) littlenecks (check)
4) oysters (check)
5) steamers (check)
6) chase holdovers and possible migrating rats in the cold driving east wind and rain...:rolleyes:

The water temp has dropped precipitously, hands bitter cold without gloves out there in this driving rain and east wind. I'll give it a try in earnest tomorrow, will report - then again when the cold front breaks next week.