Rollmop anyone ? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rollmop anyone ?

Guernseybass
03-28-2010, 02:03 PM
reports of a lot of herring at wareham, middleboro, bournedale and Harwich runs.

they are a week or two early, and size and numbers look like they are up on last year. :smile:

by my rough calcultions that would put the first scouts showing up at the Ditch around April 15... ( three weeks after the herring run).

My local run in weymouth normally populates around April 21st - 23rd. we shall see if they are early there too.

Mark.

PEC54
03-28-2010, 06:32 PM
reports of a lot of herring at wareham, middleboro, bournedale and Harwich runs.

they are a week or two early, and size and numbers look like they are up on last year. :smile:

by my rough calcultions that would put the first scouts showing up at the Ditch around April 15... ( three weeks after the herring run).

My local run in weymouth normally populates around April 21st - 23rd. we shall see if they are early there too.

Mark.

Hey Mark are you refering to striper scouts? I'm thinking it's way to early , keep your eye on the water temps on chesapeake bay and tribs ,when they sustain the 50 degree mark add about 3 weeks before anything big enough to chow on adult herring arrives. The major herring bite over the years has usually been early to mid May,which also coinsides with the arrival of alewifes:D

Guernseybass
03-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Paul - yes I was. The chessie is already around 50f and has been for a few days now. Today at the CBBT the temp was 51.8....

Last year schoolies were attacking herring at the bournedale run on April 25th.

Mark

fredaevans
03-29-2010, 04:49 PM
What the hecks a 'rollmop?:confused:

Guernseybass
03-29-2010, 07:54 PM
A strip of raw herring rolled up, with bread slice and horseradish.

It's Dutch and it's delicious :hihi: