Fly Fishing Forum banner

ODFW - kills sea lion

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
BONNEVILLE, Ore. —
Oregon's Department of Fish and Wildlife says it has killed its first fish-eating California sea lion this year after capturing it at Bonneville Dam.

Department spokeswoman Jessica Sall says the animal killed Wednesday was one of 64 on a list of sea lions eligible to be euthanized after repeatedly eating Columbia River salmon. She tells The Oregonian that the animal has been seen at the dam for the past seven years.

Last year, 11 sea lions were killed after repeatedly eating fish near the dam and four others sent to a zoo or aquarium. Sall says no zoos or aquariums have agreed to take sea lions this year.

The Columbia has multiple runs of endangered and threatened wild salmon and steelhead. Critics say the sea ...... http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011259379_aporsealionssalmon.html

#2 ·
That was not a sea lion they killed yesterday, it was my uncle Walter:confused: . I'm amazed with as many as 500,000 chinook coming back this season they even bothered with the kill. Fishing around these parts has picked up again for SH. Hoping to find a new friend who has a boat so I can fish black mouth with cut plugs and shrimp when the weather becomes warm and sunny.
Best to all and thanks for the notification on the sea lions.
cheers
OC

#5 ·
Let's get some context here Guys/Gals.

Bonneville dam is about 146 MILES from the Pacific Ocean ... and these are 'Sea Lions.' Could they be a bit out of their 'normal element?'

Remember reading about one major preditor that was finally trapped by Oregon's ODF. Tagged/Transported the bugger 150'ish miles down the Oregon coast and dumped him off back in the salt. Two weeks later? :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:

Back on station below the 'damned Dam'. These guys know where 'dinner is served' with darned little effort on their part.

fae

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.