Acklins Game Plan [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Acklins Game Plan

juro
03-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Tides: mid-day lows, big tides later in the week

General Tactics for Bonefish:

Dawn high tide, fish feeding right on shore and in the trees

mid-day low, staging in channels (e.g. Binnacle)

afternoon: when de tide come in...

Best time to make a move is mid-day, two spots per day best although it's hard to leave an "aquarium" behind to try a new spot.

You can go for numbers, adventure or a trophy. I / and / or other Acklins veterans can make suggestions for each preference. Details discussed at Orange Hill and nightly in the lodge.

Special events:

There are several freshwater ponds on the south end in which I'd bet my last ice cold kalik there are 'poons - I will make it my mission to investigate them.

Permit day (where I have seen them before)

Bluewater?

investigating...

wrke
03-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Juro
Since you'll be down south you're probably not planning to spend any time up north (don't know if you have vehicles). But if you do, please give our regards to the girls up north Claudine at Seaside, Helen at Off the Chain and Katy Hannah. I'm sure you'll see Mabel, though, for breakfast at the airport (and beer).
Have a good one.
Bill

juro
03-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Sure will Bill, I doubt I can be there a week without a trip to the good old north end especially a particular flat ("P") which I love like few places on earth for DIY bonefishing. I also want to spend a whole day at the graveyard as I always say I will do but don't.

I'm getting really pumped up!

Swalt
03-03-2010, 04:38 AM
Looks good to me.

I am interested in numbers, adventure and trophy.

Tarpon, bluewater. Thats means another fly box. Does it mean a heavier rod if we do happen to do bluewater or is 10wt ok.

Weather will also effect the planning. Its a long way out but how do strong NE winds effect the flats in the bight facing NE? Does it muddy them up?
Like i said, long way out but this site might give an idea on the weather. Looks pretty good.

http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast3.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&locCode=CAC|BS|BF001|SPRING%20POINT&metric=0

GMflyfish
03-03-2010, 09:06 AM
In looking at Google Maps, I see the road heading to the south end of Acklins, a Salina Point Settlement, and a dead end road going north from the settlement to the Bight side. There is a small point of land on the bight side to the east of the road.
Does anyone know where Felton's place is located? Will most or all of our fishing be on the bight side (generally west of the island)?
Thanks.
GMflfyfish

juro
03-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Yes, the bight side at the road, bonefish schools pass right in front and there's a weeks worth of fishing in the cays to the northeast but I wouldn't want to ignore the Spring Pt and northern honey holes not to mention the unmentionables.

We'll have no lack of places to explore, we'll discuss specifics at Orange Hill and iterate through the various choices as the week progresses.

I'm looking forward to that first Kalik. Also, we usually get dinner at the Fisherman's Terminal area. I get in around 7pm.

Vince
03-03-2010, 01:43 PM
In a week of hard fishing you guys will barely scratch the surface of the potential DIY opportunities on Acklins.

A very fun place to explore!!

I hope we run into you guys down there at some point.

woodtac
03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
This is getting serious! I have bonefishing experience, but no offshore with a fly rod. Do I need to get my hands on a 12 wt to bring along? If that is a possibility, what kind of line are you using for that? I haven't a clue about flies.

juro
03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Tom, I don't think we'll bother with the bluewater this time around

juro
03-04-2010, 08:55 AM
We will have vehicles as well as boat shuttle to surrounding flats which are hard work to access by land. Areas we know well to the north are readily accessible from the road.

As Vince says, there's more than you can explore in a week which is why I keep going back!