Nouveau Bonefish Flies? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Nouveau Bonefish Flies?

juro
03-01-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm looking for tying ideas for the upcoming adventure to Acklins... I have my standard favorites but it seems there are new additions (e.g. the petersens spawning shrimp WOW) that make it into the box.

Also came up with a marabou crab recently that they LOVE, and an unweighted steelhead fly I designed while living in Seattle (the creeper) turns out to be the slam-dunk on spooky tailers.

But aside from the gotchas and stuff we all know are there any new patterns you've been utterly amazed with from your recent exploits to the tropical flats?

Jim Miller
03-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Turneffe Crab in white/beigh and tan....small sizes (dime) w/ color rubber legs

elkhair crab ... tied like a elkhair caddis ...only crabby. ( I'll see if I can find the link....if not ask Josko!)

shrimp ties w/ marabou .... the gift that keeps on giving!

bonecrusher

small clousers and mushies

MAN I WISH I COULD GO WITH YOU GUYS

Swalt
03-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Juro, have you tied the spawning shrimp with bead chain eyes? The ones I have, have the heavy eyes(5/32). The 2 permit I have caught in the Bahamas were on that fly.

LeeG
03-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Jim was kind enough to tie a very simple shrimp pattern for me that killed them last year. The tail was a little bit of orange marabou with white marabou or saddle hachke around it. The body was brown chennile and at the head there was a bit of brown hair that stuck out to form a bit of a collar. It rides hook down, lands soft, and was just pounced on last year.

I had that experience using a horror a couple of years ago as well.

Lee

GMflyfish
03-02-2010, 10:26 AM
LeeG
Does the fly you describe have eyes? Bead chain or lead? Color? What size hook? Any picture somewhere?
I'm hoping the bones are not too particular, and if a fly is in the right place they will pick it up.
Thanks.
GMflyfish

LeeG
03-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Sorry Gary, no pic but it was tied on a #4 or a #6 hook. It had no eyes or weight at all. I used it where there wasn't any grass to speak of and it didn't hang up at all. Picture an orange and white tail with a thin brown body tied off with some thin brown crap sticking out through the thread tying off the fly. For all I know it will never work again but for that day they loved it.

If you bring a few patterns that you like in light tans and such-gotchas, simrams, boney bones, etc. and a few different ones in darker brown colors-mini-puff, snapping shrimp, borski sliders and such you'll have your bases covered.

Good luck. Not much longer now!

Jim Miller
03-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Anyone who is interested... send me your e-mail addy. I will locate my bahamas fly box, photo the ties, and send them to you. No problem.

I have a hard time posting photos here ....but i could try again. ;)

I'm thinking maybe next year I'd like to get to Aklins.

Bjorn
03-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Pick up Aaron Adam's book on Saltwater Prey... match the flies to where you are going to be. I just picked up the book and it is fantastic.

Bjorn

charvey
03-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Gents-
The one new pattern I'm bringing w/me is a bristle worm. Tied w/ rugged
chenile w/standard bead chain eyes and a rabbit collar. Tied about 3-4 inches
long w/ a teaser tail of CDC or more rabbit. I found some thicker chenile w/
sparkles in tan that looks great. I'll bring whats left just in case this thing
works as good as the inventor says.
Charvey

doctorsteve
03-08-2010, 09:48 PM
I'd like to see pics of these flies. Juro, I sent you my email if you've got pics

FishHawk
03-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Try this fly shop The Fly Fishing Shop, Welches, OR and look up bonefish crab flies. This will give you guys ideas for tying crab flies. I hope this is ok as it's not a direct link. FishHawk

juro
03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

juro
03-09-2010, 12:20 PM
I'd like to see pics of these flies. Juro, I sent you my email if you've got pics

I'll post pics of these flies in bonefish jaws upon return :)

arubaman
03-09-2010, 06:14 PM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r184/arubamanprikbord/Drake/bahamamama.jpg
a nice mama for sandy undergrounds

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r184/arubamanprikbord/Drake/olivemama-1.jpg
an olive variant for rocks, corals and turtlegrass

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r184/arubamanprikbord/Drake/bonefishspecial022.jpg
weightless flies for thin water and extremely shy but huge tailing fish, like this chico fernandez bonefish special