Tie-Fast Gryp-Knot [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tie-Fast Gryp-Knot

DickM
02-18-2010, 02:09 PM
I have been playing around with my Tie-Fast Tyer. Using it to tie on flies as per the instructions.
I was wondering if anyone had ever tested this knot for strength ?? Sure looks better than a clinch knot or improved clinch knot as the tag is buried by the wraps. Unlike the clinch which is only held by one turn of the knot. According to the instructions, the greater the tension applied the tighter the grip on the tag. I also like the way the tag exits the knot going down the line and not out the side

jimS
02-18-2010, 05:20 PM
The knot that has the maximum strength snugged to the eye of the hook is probably the palomar. If you are tying a loop knot, the Kreh loop is the strongest.

DickM
02-18-2010, 06:15 PM
jimS..........
The knot that I am talking about is not the Polimar knot.
It is a nail knot which attaches the fly to the tippet.
It is shown in the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgdQb958d28
DickM.

n1gdo
02-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the You Tube video...very interesting....is it as simple as it looks in
the video ?

I think JimS was just commenting on what he has found to be the strongest knots...there was some site or TV program that used to have contests pitting one
knot against another each week and then came up with a winner..

They used a machine to test the knot strength....I will try to dig up the site etc..unless someone knows it and can share....

Again thanks for the interesting topic

DickM
02-19-2010, 01:28 PM
n1gdo ..........
Yes, it is simple to tie. And very compact.
I was just wondering if anybody had really put this knot to the test.
DickM.