FID CARD [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum


02-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Since there is no general chit chat forum I beleive this is the best place to ask the question of who owns an FID card on the forum. I know a couple of you do. What are the best ranges on the Cape besides Bass River Rod and Gun...

cc charlie
02-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Take a look at Nauset Rod and Gun in Eastham. They have a website. Its a private range you would have to become a member. They have two pistol ranges in addition to skeet and a rifle range.

CC Charlie

02-12-2010, 04:41 PM
John- might want to distinguish between an FID card (good for low capacity rifles/shotguns only, as well as MACE/Pepper spray) and a Class A License to Carry (required for most pistols and high capacity rifles/shotguns). FID card easier to obtain, but with limited usefullness (mainly for hunting, skeet/trap, and target shooting with .22 cal rifles/bolt action rifles). Things probably different in other states, but that's the way things currently stand in the good ole CommunistWealth of Taxachusetts....:rolleyes:
As we have previously discussed, I belong to Bass River Rod and Gun on 6A in Yarmouthport. Newly rennovated indoor range, and outdoor range is being fitted with a "no blue sky" baffle system to prevent any stray rounds from landing in the salt marsh behind the range (or among the houses on the other side of the marsh). Skeet, trap, and sporting clays as well (mostly on the weekends). Tuesday night archery shoots (indoors during the colder months, outdoors when warm/longer days), with 3-D archery shoots (compressed foam animal targets) on Sundays during the late winter/early spring months. Monthly club dinners/club meetings 3rd Friday night most months. Winter and summer .22 cal target pistol leagues. Great group of folks.:D

02-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks Charlie. I will check out Nauset. Jim, I will also check in with Bass River. I did not know they had all three wing shooting facilities..... So that is key with me. Jim, will Bass River allow .45 acp cal? Thanks ( byw..I meant to say that I was referring to the Class A license)

02-13-2010, 11:24 AM
John- on indoor range at Bass River can shoot any pistol round with muzzle velocity less than Mach 1 (about 1130 ft/s) OR .22 LR rimfire from the middle three (out of 7) stations- the outer two stations on either side (remaining 4 out of 7) are reserved for .22 LR rimfire rounds only (to reduce damage to the walls). The three cartridges you mentioned all come in under 1000 ft/s, so no problem. Only the magnum rounds and the lighter weight 9 mm rounds (115 grain and 124 grain bullets; 147 grain OK) will generally exceed the Mach 1 muzzle velocity cutoff (and thus would be limited to use on the outdoor range). In a word, check on ballistics info before buying rounds to use on indoor range, and try to buy cartridges with MZ <1000 for use on the indoor range (except for .22 LR, which has higher MZ but very small bullet mass). Also need to use no larger than #9 shot on the shotgun range (as they found #8 or larger pellets could travel out into the fringes of the salt marsh when fired from some of the stations). Feel free to PM me with any additional ?'s. Hope to see you at the Bear's Den show next Saturday.
Jim aka Flydoc

02-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks Jim......all good info and naturally I will check with the Club as well. Also...the indoor range at MRA allows shotgun use with just will check the FPS velocity on those........I will PM you with any further questions but I will also get info from the club to not smother you with questions the answers of which I can probably get readily from them....I look forward to seeing you as well.