Acklins - let's do it! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Acklins - let's do it!

juro
02-10-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm looking for a group of hardcores to venture to Acklins this winter! Felton has built a new lodge and is offering an exclusive introductory discount to Forum members. All meals and shuttles to flats in the pristine Salinas Pt area are included. I also enjoy exploring the island to revisit some of the old haunts from previous adventures.

Currently looking at the second week in March. Who's in?

RSVP here and I'll send you the info.

bonefishmon
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks Juro. Please send info.

Phil

nmbrowncom
02-10-2010, 07:13 PM
how much and what's included

GMflyfish
02-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Thank you Juro,
Please send me info, details, on the excursion to Felton's place. Maybe it will work out.
GMflyfish

bonefishmon
02-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Datum Bay lies off the southern tip of Acklins. Here is the tide chart for the stay period in that area.

http://www.irbs.com/tides/locations/1325.html?y=2010&m=3&d=9

charvey
02-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks Juro-
Please forward details as I have a free plane ticket which must be booked by
Feb. 17th.

Swalt
02-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Juro, I am interested to see what you have going. Its been awhile since I have fished Acklins and that was in the north so I would love to explore the southern part of the island. I am heading to the bahamas sometime this year but have not settled on a destination and finances are more of an issue. I don't want to bump a regular though.
Thanks.

woodtac
02-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Please do share details. If your group of regulars does not fill out the team I would like the opportunity to join in. Time is getting short however, for getting into decent airfares to Nassau. Looking forward to the opportunity.
Tom

juro
02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Flights from Boston to Nassau are $208.00 r/t this AM :smokin:

bonefishmon
02-13-2010, 05:11 AM
Flights from Boston to Nassau are $208.00 r/t this AM :smokin:

And filling up fast! Four seats left nonstop to Nassau this AM from Boston. After much research this looks to be one of Juro's best DIY bets. Great lodging. Food! A bed of your own! A shuttle to some of the best DIY fishing on the planet. The southern end bones don't know what a fly is!
I'd be very surprised to see another angler outside of the group unless they want to walk many miles. No roads to access flats nearby to my knowledge so the shuttle will be a big plus to those that can't keep up with Juro's fitness! LOL! If I don't make this one, I'm going to be kicking myself to China and back! Time is running out.

Phil

cc charlie
02-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Best of luck to all headed to Felton's Salinas. Got a chance to see the lodge on my last trip in Nov.
Great location and super accomodations. Save some fish for me I'll be down there later in the month. Then going to Long Island for a week DIY ( the grass is always greener).

Have fun........CC Charlie

juro
02-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Forum Member discount of 30%. Deposit will be required shortly.

www.vrbo.com/206778
www.salinapointinnbonefishlodge.com
(new webpage under construction)

*** need verbal commitments asap ***

Proposed Itinerary:

Rendezvous in Nassau Tues night. I will check with our usual hotel (Orange Hill) today.

Morning flight to Acklins. We will have transportation waiting. I suspect we will be fishing by early afternoon (first year I caught my first bone by 1:30p).

Wed 10-17th, return home on the morning flight - book an afternoon flight out of Nassau.

5 units, two beds each. All meals provided, boat transportation to area flats. I will inquire about the vehicle rental to other locations on the island we have come to know and love.

More later...

juro
02-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Bahamasair
$244. USD

Leaving on Wednesday, 10 March 10
Depart:08:30 AM
Arrive:10:20 AM
Wednesday, 10 March 10
Nassau , BS (NAS) - Springpoint , BS (AXP)
Cabin: Economy / De Havilland DHC-8 Dash 8

Returning on Wednesday, 17 March 10
Depart: 10:40 AM
Arrive:11:55 AM
Springpoint , BS (AXP) - Nassau , BS (NAS)

juro
02-14-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm booking flights today - need all to confirm from this list now
Still room for 3. Price is 30% off for Forum Members, meals lodging and water shuttle to surrounding flats included.

Woodtac - confirmed
bonefishmon
swalt - confirmed
gmflyfish - confirmed
charvey - comfirmed
juro - confirmed

possibles:

ngd10
nmbrowncom

woodtac
02-14-2010, 08:17 AM
I am in and booking the flights.

juro
02-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Delta still has lots of flights for $254.00 + both ways.

bonefishmon
02-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Still waiting for vacation approval from work. The guy who authorizes it has been on vacation and will be back on Tuesday.

Phil

juro
02-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Almost there (already there in my mind)

charvey
02-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Juro-
I have all my reservations set except Nassau to Acklins. Are you booking
that leg or are we doing that ourselves. Any details on Felton's lodge yet?
Many thanks-
Bob

juro
02-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Check PM... getting PSYCHED!!!

**** PLENTY OF ROOM AND TIME - JOIN US!!! ****

LeeG
02-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Guys,
I'm coming in on the flight you're leaving on and will definitely swing over to introduce myself and say hi. I've heard a lot of goodd things about the southern part of the island and can't wait to hear your stories!

Tight lines,
Lee

GMflyfish
02-16-2010, 03:26 PM
I've made my roundtrip air reservations for Nassau, arriving Tuesday 9 March about two in the afternoon. Also made the Bahamas Air reservation NAS to and from Spring Point for the 10th and 17th. Looking forward to joining you guys.
What is happening with the Tuesday night arrangements? Some sort of group deal? I've done nothing about that so far.
Thanks.
GMflyfish

juro
02-16-2010, 06:10 PM
All flights should be made on your own. Hotel will be made on finalization of headcount since we can save big on four-person rooms. There was still room last time I checked but we can book rooms by mid-week at Orange Hill Hotel in Nassau and anyone changing their mind can grab a single room there or nearby. It's only a one night stay and we just rendezvous for a meal and/or drink before leaving the next am around 8a.

Swalt
02-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Sounds good!! I am ready, set and on go now. Can not wait to get back down there, meet you guys and fish my ass off.
Walt

woodtac
02-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Air reservations are complete. Just took a look at Bahamas Air luggage policy: http://up.bahamasair.com/policy.php?id=baggage

Does the 44 pound limit include the carry on bag? I assume that it does--that could be challenging. The $65 for the additional amount is a powerful deterrent, however.

Psyched!

Swalt
02-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Air reservations are complete. Just took a look at Bahamas Air luggage policy: http://up.bahamasair.com/policy.php?id=baggage

Does the 44 pound limit include the carry on bag? I assume that it does--that could be challenging. The $65 for the additional amount is a powerful deterrent, however.

Psyched!

That has always been a gray area. When I was there in fall of 2008 I was told that you are counted as an international flight even if you layed over for a night in Nassau. So that gives you 60lbs which is more than most US airlines allow for checked bags. In the past I have had them weigh your checked bag and carryon bag together (I have also had them not even weigh the carryon) so I will pack a 60lb or less total for checked and carryon. I have also had them weigh my bags and the bags of the person I was traveling with together looking for a total of 120lb. What I am saying is that I will pack no more than 60lb total and hope that is right.

cc charlie
02-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Flew Bahamas Air to Acklins thispast Nov. The 60 lb rules applied to my checked bag, though I was asked as to when I had arrived in Nassau. I was permitted to board with a rather large carryon total of 55 inches L+W+H, which also had a 4 piece rod attached. In addition I had a back pack.

The weight of the carryons was not included in the 60 lb limit.

CC Charlie

GMflyfish
02-17-2010, 01:48 PM
For the trip to Acklins I am planning on taking a couple old empty reels and fly line spools so I can empty my good reels of line and backing after the trip. Will put the lines and backing into checked bags, and carry my good reels - empty. This has only been a problem for the flight from Nassau back to the states, not going into Nassau or on to Acklins. Based on past experience. Also plan to carry on small flies, put some of the bigger ones into checked bag. Hope that works.
Thanks.
GMflyfish.

Dave17
02-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Guys,

I did Acklins four years in a row and managed to get packing down to a science. If you are anywhere near the 60+ lb limit you are probably packing too much. Here's my quick little list, hope it helps........

2 sets of flats gear (alternate each day, wear one while one dries)
Rods, reels
Backup flyline (high probability of line damage in mangroves)
Good flats boots
2 evening outfits (long sleeve but breathable)
Rain Jacket
Simple bone fly box (mostly 6's, some 4's and 8's PM me if you want tips on spec. pat)
Tippet (10-14lb) and leader
Bug spray
camera
Sling chest pack
Booze (its not cheap there)

I highly, highly recommend having small walkie talkies. Tape them up high to your sling. The schools of fish on Acklins can sustain multiple shots without spooking so being able to call out their direction to each other as you spread out is incredibly advantageous and fun too.

Good luck and have fun! Maybe next year for me (f-in economy:mad: )

striblue
02-17-2010, 08:19 PM
I have mentioned this before...but if I were going and wish I could...I would send all my gear by FED EX to the lodge...if they deliver there...or to a fed ex location in Nassau... and not worry about carry or check in....insured... and I have never had something not show up...others have done this .. anyway...Juro will have extra rods:wink:

woodtac
02-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Dave,

I will buy you a bottle of rum and some good cigars--you ought to take a leap and join in.

Tom

Swalt
02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Last time I went down you could buy Cubans at the little store inside the terminal for Bahamasair. You got to ask for them he had them under the counter.

bonefishmon
02-17-2010, 09:16 PM
You guys are going to have a terrific time Down South with Juro. Yet another maiden, next level voyage to some ridiculous fishing in lower Acklins. Wish I could have made it but didn't give work enough notice. Some first hand knowledge will be arriving before we know it. I've heard so much great news about the southern reaches but few from anyone I know firsthand other than Juro. A true adventure awaits! Hats off to Juro and Forum Sponsor Felton Rolle. Please, take loads of photos of the lodge, flats, the people and of course, the fish.

Phil

wrke
02-18-2010, 11:17 AM
You guys are killin' me here. Like Dave17, we were there four years straight, starting with the first "ridiculous" trip. We didn't return last year, and it's also out for me this year, too. But my long-time fishing buddy Bob (charvey) will be joining you . . . so I'm there vicariously.

The last year we were there (08) instead of DIY, we stayed down south and fished with Bob Bergquist. We had a wonderful time, not only accessing great flats and creeks all the way up to the initial year's "death march", but further up . . . plus, had a day of bluewater . . . with tuna, mahi, cudas and even got cut off by some wahoo. You'll love it down south.

Have a great time. Let's hear all about it. Like Dave, I hope to return next year. (I will have a week in the Abacos in April, so all's not lost).

Oh, one other thing. Nassau is my least favorite Bahamian airport . . . for many reasons. An absolutely ridiculous flight delay one year when the airport ran out of the ability to dispense fuel, resulting in missing a connection in the US by many hours. Stayed the night in Philadelphia. Then in 08, I went first through US TSA security who passed all my carry-on smoothly, and then Bahamian security told me I couldn't carry on my reels. No amount of discussion would change their minds, even that US TSA recommends you put your reels in your carry on! They sent someone to get my already checked bag, I put the reels in it and went on my way. Landing in the US, a Danielsson reel and extra spool (plus lines and backing, of course) were missing. I'm sure they never even left Nassau — probably never made it 100 ft from when I put them in. Bob had apparently told our group that they wouldn't allow reels in carry on in Nassau, but somehow, I never got the message. Nassau is the only Bahamian airport where this has happened, I go through others all the time with no problem.

So, unless things have changed, I recommend that you put your reels/spools in your checked baggage when headed back to the US on your return trip. Just try to bury them in your luggage somehow.

Bill

Swalt
02-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Bill, I had the exact same experience returning in 2006. Bahamian TSA would not let me carry-on reels. I was lucky in that all my reels made it back home. I have heard that has changed now but I will not take that chance.
I carry-on going down now and check coming back and have not had a problem. I carry a light folding bag with me and pack things, that can be carried on, in it for the return trip to make room for the reels and rods in the checked bag. If people smell something on the plane its probably the stuff in the folding bag. Wet flats boots, socks and dirty cloths. I have been hoping TSA would search that bag.

Walt

cc charlie
02-18-2010, 01:05 PM
FYI ......On my last trip into AXP this past Nov. there was a large group of divers heading to Crooked Is. they had a ton of gear. Needless to say a lot of bags were left in Nassau. thankfully I got mine.
Make sure you have all you need to fish for a day or two in your carryons, Iv'e never had a problem with flies or line heading into Acklins.

CC charlie

charvey
02-18-2010, 07:43 PM
To all headed to Acklins w/Juro-
I just booked my Nassau to Acklins flight (thurs. 7pm)
3/10-3/17 dates and my fare is $109.00 NOT $244.00
Maybe they lowered the fare to take the sting out of getting
your reels stolen !!
Charvey

Swalt
02-18-2010, 08:51 PM
To all headed to Acklins w/Juro-
I just booked my Nassau to Acklins flight (thurs. 7pm)
3/10-3/17 dates and my fare is $109.00 NOT $244.00
Maybe they lowered the fare to take the sting out of getting
your reels stolen !!
Charvey

That is unreal. I have never seen Bahamasair cut prices like that. Didn't believe it but I checked and that is what it says. I already booked at the $240 price. Anyone that hasn't booked yet needs to go ahead and do so at that price.

juro
02-19-2010, 10:35 AM
The trip is weeks away... I am going to contact the Nassau overnight spot but want to get all interested parties accounted for -

Take those skirts off and join us! :lildevl:

GMflyfish
02-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I also booked the NAS-AXP flights at $244. One day too early. Called Bahamas air to see if they would allow me the lower fare, but no deal. As expected. Poor timing.
GMflyfish

juro
02-20-2010, 09:09 PM
flights booked - Bahamasair only $109 :smokin:

Room for a few more... can't beat Felton's special package for Forum members!

Vince
02-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Awesome! You guys are going to have a great time!

I may run into you at some point. I'll be staying at Ivels just north of the airport from March 8-13 with a few friends and we'll be exploring the middle and south ends. I'll pack a few extra kaliks in the cooler for the end of the day in case we see you!

Then I move up north with a group of five from March 13 to 20 to fish the north end. I doubt we will make it farther south than snug corner, but if you guys are up there stop in at Chester's at the end of the day for a beer. They have a great new bar right on the bonefish flat!

In my experience tsa now allows your reels with line going thru Nassau to the states.

juro
02-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Vince - let's definitely get together for a Kalik! Look forward to seeing you then,
Juro

GMflyfish
02-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Thinking about equipment for the upcoming trip to Acklins Is. If I take two rods it would be 8wt and 9wt. However, thinking about hauling along three rods, so the question is 9wt, 8wt and 7wt, or 9wt and two 8wt. Any suggestions?
Also - what about a wading staff; think I took one last time and did not use it. I plan to bring my stripping basket along.
Thanks.
GMflyfish

Vince
02-24-2010, 02:14 PM
2 8's and a 9.

wading staff? find a stick!

basket is good when standing on the rocks or shore.

hope to see you guys--probably will one day. Plan on checking out felton's new lodge while fishing down that way.

Vince
03-02-2010, 12:50 PM
getting close!!!

http://www.ccoflyfishing.com/acklins2007diyoofs5.jpg

FLGator
03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
I think about this opportunity almost every day...:(

Sounds like an amazing trip and I'm really hoping my schedule works out for next year!

Looking forward to the trip report upon the groups safe return.

Swalt
03-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Don't have to shave again for 7 days.

FredA
03-09-2010, 07:50 AM
That's right, rub it in.:mad: :frown:

juro
03-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Damn this checkin line is sloooow... Kaliks are waitin' let's go folks! :)

n1gdo
03-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Wish I could have joined you but a death in the family put a damper on
the last few weeks...

Have a great time down there and cannot wait for a report....

My best to Felton and the wonderful folks on Acklins...