Maine Yet? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Maine Yet?

grego
07-26-2000, 11:37 AM
All (especially Maine-acs),

I was talking with Al_D about fishing possiblities this weekend & he mentioned Maine. I have Frank Daignault's book 'Striper Hot Spots' which gives directions to several spots in southern Maine. What I am wondering is am I going to be on an exploring mission, or are there serious fish getting up there now? Thanks, GregO

jeffg
07-26-2000, 12:22 PM
I haven't been this year yet, but I used to do pretty well up there in July and August, one hour north of Portland. I have seen reports that it has been slow up there but I hav also heard tales of some big bass so....

I might be worth it.

There are nice populations of mackerel and pollock all summer long up there.

Bob Pink
07-26-2000, 08:24 PM
grego,
I was up in Maine last week, fished the "Back Cove" in Portland from a 'yak one night without joy (it was a beauty of a night though). A place to check in with about current conditions in "The Tackle Shop" on India St in Portland. Good guys, straight scoop on what's happening. Guy by the name of Dana does a lot of their flytying and he is excellent. If you stop in, take a look at the 5" black mambo minnows that he's destroyed on big bass this year.....

grego
07-27-2000, 12:04 PM
Jeff/Bob,

Thanks for the info. Upon further thought I think I'll pass on a Maine trip this weekend. The main reason being is with this front moving from South to North I should probably let it pass instead of following it up the coast! If anything I should probably go South. Maybe B-Bay for some shore fishing. If I was more certain that the weather was going to improve I'd consider hauling the boat back down to the Cape?