Trip for April 2011 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Trip for April 2011

Tim D
02-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Hey folks,

Just got back from Panama and am already looking to make plans for next year. I've got it narrowed down to Belize River Lodge or Campeche for baby tarpon. anyone have any experience with either?

Thanks
Tim

PS I'll post a report of Panama when I dig out of the work I came back to but it was great! Mostly casting poppers with spin gear but did manage quite a few jacks on the fly along with a rooster and yellowfin as well.

Eric
02-01-2010, 03:32 PM
See my post on Belize. We stayed at Belize River Lodge in early November, just as Hurricane Ida was brewing in Honduras. The lodge and staff are most professional, guides and equipment fine, but, because of wind and weather, the fishing was mediocre at best. Nevertheless, I wish I could have stayed longer. Bottom line, though, probably not the best place for baby tarpon. According to one of the guides, hooking four in a day was considered good. We hooked a bunch fishing around a dive boat anchored to the Belize City main dock, which was entertaining, but not productive since, if the tarpon didn't get away immediately, they ran around the pier pilings and broke off. I strongly preferred fishing the clear water out on the mangrove keys, but there weren't that many tarpon out there. A couple of our party went two hours up the Belize River and fished a tributary with some good results. I didn't care all that much for black water, jungle fishing, though.

My $0.02

Eric

Tim D
02-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks Eric! Much appreciated. I think it might be the pick for us as we really want the variety, not necessarily focusing on the baby tarpon. and my guess is if we fish April/May the weather should be less of an issue but who knows.

Vince
02-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Campeche is a very cool place with some very good baby tarpon fishing. It is mostly all tarpon fishing, with some snook fishing, and a few small to medium cudas around. But, it's mostly a tarpon destination. No wading--all boat fishing.

The city of Campeche is very nice and historical, with lots to do and see when not fishing.

pm me if you have any more questions.