Need and up date about carry on tackle [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Need and up date about carry on tackle

scruffy_fish
01-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Heading to Aruba :) at the end of February and have gotten conflicting information about taking tackle on planes, in my web searches.

I'll be flying on Delta. Has anyone recently traveled with fly tackle and what is your experience taking rods. reels and flies on board? I haven't traveled on planes since before 9/11.

Thanks

nmbrowncom
01-31-2010, 05:25 PM
4 piece rods ind reels shouldn't be a problem on departure from the usa. metal files-pack in your checked baggage. returning with rods and reels a carryon may be a problem. i just came back from fishing in brazil 2 weeks ago and from a trip to israel in december. the restrictions on what could be hand carried on the plane on the return trip to the usa was much more problematic than leaving the usa. in brazil we were not allowed to hand carry our 4 piece rod case on the return flight back to the usa.

Eric
02-01-2010, 01:15 AM
TSA is whimsical and unpredictable. Because I never know if a box of No. 2/0 Cockroaches will trigger an Heliotrophe alert, I just check ALL my tackle now. To date, I have not had a problem (Flown Alaska, Continental, American, Southwest) to Alaska, Germany, Great Exuma and Belize recently.

My great concern, as it must be yours, is the time between flights if you must change planes. I've been lucky so far, I think.

Cheers,

Eric