Los Roques Jan 2010 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Los Roques Jan 2010

petevicar
01-28-2010, 09:33 AM
A brief report of my trip last week.
I had not been to Los Roques for over a year and this was my twelfth visit.
The last couple of times were spoilt by bad weather but this was not the case this trip.
I had forgotten how amazing the fishing there can be and I am now sure that this is probably the best bonefishing location there is.
I say that because there are more fish there than anywhere else, the average fish size is larger and the styles of fishing are more diverse.

You can fish on classic flats to schools and singles like in the Bahamas or Mexico. You can also fish on very shallow pancake flats to tailing fish. But the most exciting part is fishing on beaches to fish feeding on the millions of baitfish.

Apparently the weather this winter has been a little different to previous years (What a surprise:rolleyes: ) and the fish were not always is the usual places and there were very few tarpon around.

However I managed to catch a lot of bonefish in fact after one morning when I caught about 30 fish I was getting a little bored. This is remedied by fishing for bones with dry flies. (This technique I have described in my report from 2006.)

There are also some serious monster bones around that I would estimate to be 15lbs+. I think that they are impossible to catch with any type of fly unless you can simulate the intestines of a cleaned fish. These big bones cruise around in front of the fish cleaning tables an don't spook or are interested in anything apart from fish scraps.
They have a sort of arrogance and a you're not gonna catch me mate attitude. They give you more that the fin.

I could try to describe the whole week but I would bore you with yet another bonefish caught so I'll try to describe just one day's fishing.
Last thursday Jan 14 was very windy so we decided not to go too far and try and find shelter from the wind. We went to Madraski which is a short boat ride from from Gran Roques. The beach on Madraski is on of the best around and in the afternoon is usually inhabited by beautiful slim bikinied Italian girls.:lildevl:
We got there at about 8.00am almost 2 hours before any of the previously mentioned distractions arrived.
We decided to walk the beach and fish floating gummy minnows and caught about a dozen fish all around 3-4lbs and also the 7-8lb fish below.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/petevicar/LRbone2010madras1.jpg
This is to me the most exciting method to fish for bones there is as you see every take and refusal. The fish will stick its head right out of the water to take a fly. Imagine dry fly fishing for salmon in totally clear water when the fish comes up to take a good look at the fly.

After the beach started to get busy we went to a nearby flat and caught some fish with more orthodox bonefish tactics.

The highlight of the afternoon was our return to Gran Roques. We decided to fish the front where there a lot of cruising bones and there are the monsters in front of the cleaning tables.
I saw one larger fish cruising and cast my floating minnow in its path. The fish continued swimming and on the way past it sucked in my fly. It realised it was hooked and immediately took off swimming parallel to the beach underneath a lot of boats and anchor lines. It took a least 200yards of backing and almost spooled me before it stopped.
How do I get him out?
With a little help from my friends.
My guide Rafael took his shirt off, found a diving mask and jumped of the boat. We then proceeded to pass the rod under the anchor lines and slowly get the line back in at this point we had attracted a small audience standing on the beach. We managed to get the fly line back onto the reel and unbelievably the fish was still on.
Rafael my trusty guide passed me the fish to the applause of our crowd.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/petevicar/Raphaelbone.jpg
I know that by IFGA rules the fish doesn't count but who cares.
I estimate it to be 11-12lbs.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/petevicar/LRbone2010.jpg

Pete

jimS
01-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Pete, thanks for sharing, incredible event. The stars were truly aligned for that trip. How about arranging a forum trip to Los Roques. I'll be one of the first to sign on.

juro
01-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Fantastic Pete! Now that you saw how it;s done can you dive in for my next mangrove threader? :wink:

FLGator
01-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for sharing another INCREDIBLE adventure Pete!

Vince
01-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Awesome Pete!

LeeG
01-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Great report-I have definitely got to get down there! Where are the pics of the "distractions" though!

Great job.

tight-lines
01-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Very Nice Pete!!! I know I keep saying this but, one of these days. :rolleyes:
I PM'd you about another topic

JTWG
02-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Pete,
I'm glad to hear that you finally had some good weather and a great trip.

Thanks for a great report.

arubaman
02-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Nice report Pete,
have you got a tutorial on tying that floating minnow anywhere on the net?
Thx!

petevicar
02-10-2010, 02:02 AM
Hi Arubaman
I have looked and I can't find my tying instructions for the floating fly.
I suppose I must write them.

Pete

bigcarp44
02-10-2010, 10:59 AM
If this is sufficient you can stop writing :smile: : http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=25179

Carsten

petevicar
02-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks Carsten.

Deanflyfish
08-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi. Nice reading. Do you have the recipe or adress for the floating minnow ?

doctorsteve
08-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Pete,
Do you have a pic of the floating minnow?
I'm going to LR in January, and I'd like to have a bunch of those handy.

Vince
10-30-2010, 07:02 AM
We still have 3 spots open for our trip to Los Roques in January.
(January 8-15, 2011)

If anyone is interested in joining our group, let me know.

We have a super group of guys (I have fished with each of them) and are all excited for a great adventure in LR!

More info can be found here:
http://www.ccoflyfishing.com/HOSTEDTRIPS2011.html

doctorsteve
12-02-2010, 08:29 AM
I just got a foot of wet snow last night and today.

But, I'm leaving for Los Roques in 36 days. Not that I'm counting.......

Vince
12-02-2010, 10:06 AM
36 days, 11 hours, 41 minutes . . . .

Steve, make sure you have some floating gummy minnows for bones on the surface!

doctorsteve
12-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Already got em. Some regular ones too.

petevicar
12-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Steve
Did you make them or buy them?

pete

doctorsteve
12-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I bought them. From Feathercraft, but I haven't gotten them yet. Should be here today. Chris over at Salwterflies.com only had regular ones. All of the flies I got from him were nice.

petevicar
12-03-2010, 05:45 PM
THe only floating gummy minnows that I have ever seen were made either by me or Jan Kristensen.
I would be very interested to hear about other people making them.

juro
12-04-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm glad you didn't say "TIE" them :lildevl:

doctorsteve
12-06-2010, 08:36 AM
I'll post a pic of them when they arrive. Hopefully today. I want all my stuff yesterday.

doctorsteve
12-07-2010, 06:41 AM
Pete,
They came in yesterday. I think they look interesting. Not as realistic as the regular gummy minnows.

(On a side note, I'm so computer savvy that it only took me an hour to figure out how to post this pic. My kids could've done this in about a minute. Sad......)

Swalt
12-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Cpt Chris Newsome, bayflyfishing makes a fly, he calls the Blasphemy Bait Fish using Bug Bond, that is a killer for albies and other fish. Looks like it would also work for this. The one he makes sinks but could probably be made to float or suspend.

petevicar
12-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Pete,
They came in yesterday. I think they look interesting. Not as realistic as the regular gummy minnows.

(On a side note, I'm so computer savvy that it only took me an hour to figure out how to post this pic. My kids could've done this in about a minute. Sad......)

This is mine with the real thing.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/petevicar/handfly.jpg

doctorsteve
12-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Which one is the fake one? Very nice.

doctorsteve
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
We got back a couple of days ago. All I can say is "Holy Sh*t"

There are so many bones, big bones.
They actually will take those floating gummy minnows. It is absolutely insane seeing a bone try to eat a floating gummy like it's a trout. They would look at the fly, try to eat it and miss, try again and again until it either hooked itself or you got too excited and ripped it away from it's lips. The bones there are so strong. If anyone is planning on going there, GO. The only flies you need are gummy minnows, floating gummies, and some gotcha's. Those fish are not leader shy or spooky. I think Pete will probably agree about the fishing. This is a great place for a beginner, and an even better place for someone that knows what they're doing.
And if you like to eat, 5 star gourmet chef at the Acuarela lodge. I'm just putting up a brief report because I'm sure Vince is preparing a nice thourough one.

Vince
01-17-2011, 07:10 PM
What a great place!
Working on the report--here are a few pics:

http://www.ccoflyfishing.com/LR201138.jpg

http://www.ccoflyfishing.com/LR201128.jpg

http://www.ccoflyfishing.com/LR201132.jpg

petevicar
01-18-2011, 05:06 AM
Great stuff.
I can't wait for the report. I am so sad I could not make the trip.

FLGator
01-18-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm excited to read the report too. Los Roques is definately a destination contender for '12.

ericnotthered
01-18-2011, 05:12 PM
I'd love to hear the details too. I've been seriously considering a trip to Acklins or Los Roques in the next month or two.