Trip Insurance? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Trip Insurance?

LeeG
01-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Vince has got a link on his site to a place that sells Trip Insurance and I was wondering if people generally buy it. On a quick glance it looks like it's short money for some good upside protection.

Vince-do any of your clients have any experience using it? Personally I would need to be half dead before I would cancel on a trip to any of the place you go but that's another matter.

Thanks.

Lee

GMflyfish
01-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Personally I would need to be half dead before I would cancel on a trip to any of the place you go but that's another matter.
Lee

Hey Lee, If you are only half dead, that implies you are half alive, and that should be sufficient to chase bonefish.
The insurance question is tricky - it is only a good deal if you have to use it, which you would rather not do. I generally skip it, but one catastrophe would make that a bad choice. If you have three people (father,son) would only one get the insurance?
Have a fine trip.
GMflyfish

Vince
01-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Lee, I have had clients purchase the trip insurance, but fortunately none has ever had to use it.

If you have spent a lot of $ on a trip, in some circumstances it may be worth it in the event you have to cancel.

It is usually under $200 for the type of trips we run.

teflon_jones
01-20-2010, 07:17 AM
If I was going on a really expensive trip, I might think about it, but I look at it that if you're going to buy the insurance, you have to do it every time. The one time you don't will be the time you need it. Let's say 1/20 trips you need it and it's $200. That means you paid $4000 to get paid back for that one trip. Doesn't make much sense to me! If you have health issues or other circumstances that make it more likely you won't be able to go, then I'd definitely consider it.

JR SPEY
01-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Way more important, in my mind, is evacuation insurance for medical emergencies. Not only can that save a whole lot of money, but it might also save your life. This is a insurance plan that in my case lasts for five years. I think I paid something like $800.00 for those five years. I've actually had to use it once and even though it was within the US the same medical evacuation without insurance would have cost me almost $20,000. A lot depends upon your health and the amount you travel, but I can't imagine traveling these days without mine. And if you read the fine print very closely this is way better coverage than the "free" plan you get from your credit card company when you book the trip using their card. For the record, I usually also get the standard Travel insurance for most trips, at least for the fairly expensive trips I sometimes take.