Releasing Grilse a win-win? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Releasing Grilse a win-win?

salmonthink
01-18-2010, 02:07 PM
From rivers in Russia to those in Canada, scientists have found with tagged Atlantic salmon that anglers have caught and released the same grilse and salmon several times. Would like to hear any stories from any of you who found evidence of grilse that have been caught more than once. With science now showing that grilse help divert predators from larger salmon during migration, and grilse being more likely to explore for new spawning habitat, wouldn't that make it a win-win situation to release grilse? Better for salmon numbers, better for the anglers?

wrke
01-18-2010, 04:13 PM
I remember talking with Henrik Mortensen a couple of years ago about this. And I think I remember him saying that grilse are extremely important with regards to the health of stocks. I think I remember him saying something about the reduced reproductive capacity of large, older males.

Green Ghost
01-22-2010, 10:57 AM
I have limited knowledge on the subject other than what guides have told me from observing the spawning in the fall. I have heard that Grilse are faster to get to the female and/or redds and therefore the eggs get Grilse Gene pool from the Milt instead of multi-year gene pool from the older males. I do not think that there is proof that this occurs, but we all know the grilse is faster to the Fly!

silverleapers
03-03-2010, 05:49 PM
With science now showing that grilse help divert predators from larger salmon during migration,

Can you reference this for me salmonthink?

BTW I have guided for many salmon that have been hooked several times in one summer...and landed a tagged grilse that was 18 pounds and very very old and had been released (ie super fish)...my friend done the same thing a few years later.

Salar36
03-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Can you reference this for me salmonthink?

BTW I have guided for many salmon that have been hooked several times in one summer...and landed a tagged grilse that was 18 pounds and very very old and had been released (ie super fish)...my friend done the same thing a few years later.

Same for me please...

Since here grilse usualy arrive 2-3 weeks later than MSW, I have a hard time to figure how it can happen, which scientist made this demonstration and how he did it...As far as I know, it was an hypotesis with almost no support in most of the scientists I know ...