Gotcha question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Gotcha question

Bjorn
12-14-2009, 05:15 PM
OK... my daughter is napping so I'm at the vice and I'm tying gotcha's. I've been wondering, does anyone do multi-color bodies on their gotcha's? Something I've been playing with a little bit, but this is stuff I'm doing at the vice without the on-the-flats wisdom to know if that is a good idea or just dumb.

On my trout nymphs I like to sometimes do a PT with two or three different colors, clearly delineated as a way to add a little visual interest in the bug. Is there reason to do that with a bonefish fly/gotcha?

In the case of the fly I just took out of the vice I used pearl diamond braid in Bonefish Tan and half way up, I switched to a white/pearl braid. I'll post a pic here later. Just wondering if this is a path even worth taking.

Bjorn

BigDave
12-15-2009, 11:20 AM
I haven't tried multi-colored bodies except on Greg's flat's fly, but why not! You could also try building up tapered bodies with different colors of thread before wrapping with pearl bodi-braid. The color will show through when the fly is wet and give it some additional 'glow' in the water.

Bjorn
12-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the reply. Here are a few of the flies.

http://bonefishonthebrain.wordpress.com/files/2009/12/twotonegotcha.jpg

petevicar
12-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Hey Bjorn

I don't really like the gold bodies that you have there.

A gotcha is normally fished on a sandy bottom.

In my experience very light colours are necessary for gotcha bodies. I prefer pearl. I also like to use light coloured wing material like polar bear.

The only thing that I change is to use a hot orange head instead of the coral pink.

The pink is the standard colour but when the bite is slow then the orange can waken the fish up.

If you want to make other changes then try flies with longer wings.

The profile of the fly (from behind) is very important. Remember that the fish will mostly see the fly when it is following it.

Pete

Bjorn
12-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Great feedback there Pete. Appreciate it. I guess I fell sucker to the marketing ploy of the name of that gold color... "Bonefish Tan" which, is a little tan and a lot gold. I have some with longer wings, but am waiting for a new shipment of Craft Fur to get in at my local fly shop.

Thanks!

bonefishmon
12-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Tie a few with bead chain eyes. The larger clouser eyes are good for the deeper flats but may be a bit loud for the skinny stuff. A few pink puffs will round things out.

Phil

Vince
12-15-2009, 06:16 PM
I love bunny gotchas. I feel the bunny, which really comes alive in the water, has been the difference on a few days.

Bjorn
12-15-2009, 07:00 PM
I've been tying a few with bunny too, and lots and lots of chain bead eyes too, even some with mono... some with silly legs, some with calf tail. If variation is the spice of life, I am Guy Fieri!

Appreciate all the advice.

B-

petevicar
12-16-2009, 03:45 AM
Bjorn
With regard to eyes and weight of them. Make sure that the fly swims straight. That is with the tail up. If the eyes are too light then the fly can swim sideways.

Pete

Bjorn
12-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Have any tricks to help keep a lightly weighted gotcha swiming straight?

I'm thinking the mono eyes are for those 6 inches of water situations where not a lot of swiming is required.

My order of materials should be in today, so there should be more tying in my immediate future.

B-