I killed 4 native fish today! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: I killed 4 native fish today!

OC
11-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Fishing was good, bonked 4 wild fish. Caught them with worms and shrimp mix on a 0/2 hook.

Boy this site is slow, has anyone fished at all? Did fish yesterday on lower Hood River, tough river to fish on a swing, guess they mostly bobber/nymph fish it. I enjoyed a day of sunshine but bumps or spotting of fish did not happen. There is a winter run that starts now and peaks in January but don't know much about it.

Maybe we should go back to 5 or 6 years ago on this site when we had profanity, name calling, bonkers galore visiting our pages. There was plenty of posts in those days.
Happy Holidays.
OC

nmbrowncom
12-01-2009, 05:32 AM
dieing a slow death? definitely could use a shot in the arm. that said, i think that differences of opinion which almost always seem to deteriorate into personal attacks is more the problem than the solution.

striblue
12-01-2009, 08:00 AM
I kill tuna ...once near the boat with my Sig Sauer p 239 9mm...sometimes I am more sporting and use a brand new Walther PPS 9MM... What's the difference. This is an edit.... I just thought of something...I am joking...NOT serious....ok

vtloon
12-01-2009, 08:32 AM
I always found hand grenades to be the most effective; they seem to work anywhere.

striblue
12-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Todd... Just curious... do you wash the unused ones at the end of the day. What do you use to clean them? You know, get the salt off and make sure they don't rust. There have been conflicting stories on proper care. after a days fishing.:confused: Actually, your name seems familiar... your the guy who was on Opray who fished for tuna by straffing with the F-15... brought it to a new level. I could be wrong but I am sure it was you.

OC
12-01-2009, 09:39 AM
John,
I think the guy on Opray comes from over in the striper section and he flies cargo planes. Guess he drops 55 gallon drums full of nails/hooks and explosives.

We use the left over worms in our Christmas turkey stuffing. Make popcorn out of extra shrimp. Never was on Opray but made a couple runs on Hustler channel years ago.

Hope all is well John and you had a good summer season. Mr Brown, I should have broke out the worms when you came out and fished with me years ago,eh!

VTLOON, you have a future here, where were you a half dozen years ago.

striblue
12-01-2009, 10:31 AM
OC...yes, I am wrong, it is that guy...Now this a good thread for a change.:chuckle: we must be careful not to provide that guy in the Cargo plane an excuse to join in here....we will need a translator.

vtloon
12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Marines don't fly F-15s....only Air Force pukes.

FredA
12-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Marines don't fly F-15s....only Air Force pukes.

Ok, now we're starting to cook.

OC, could I catch them natives with a surf rod? Have you tried chummin with corn or better yet laid down a chum slick of creamed corn?

striblue
12-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Oh NOOOOOO...Air force pukes? Ok, Now you've really done it.... If Pete sees that?????:hihi: :whoa: As one of several Moderators It appears I will be unable to maintain decorum on this thread...especially with the usually controlled FredA joining in. Posters who are ABLE to control themselves should not post on this thread, Per order of Juro. ( I will get a PM saying I had no authority to say that or use his name) hey , my mistake...... I am out of control....There I said......I better remove that pic after further thought

vtloon
12-01-2009, 11:57 AM
If Pete sees that?????

Thought it might stir him up a bit.

OC
12-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Ok, Hey, hey, now we are cooking a winter feast. Fear not John, Juro has it in the oven as we speak. He can e-mail me for getting the cook stove going.

Fred my Cape Cod fishing buddy. Sure you can use a surf rod for steelhead. Heck I used a 15 foot rod today sort of the same. I also used flies today, but it was hard finding house flies in winter, had look in the cob webs above the rafters to find any and they were so old I had to use them as wakers. Cream of corn you got to be kidding me, we got a whole locker of that stuff here at the house. Do you open the can first before chumming or just throw an entire unopened case in the run?

Maybe what this site needs is a section called the Liars Den. Fishermen are interesting liars and I think there would be great interest if we put all the lies told here at flytalk in just one place. We could have a scoring system one to ten with ten being a top lie. We could also have a true button to hit if someone thinks the lie is a true fishing story.
John I'm not a moderator any more so can you bring this up at the next moderator meeting?

Yup, I expect Pete will be flying in at any minute. I better get out and plow the runway.

striblue
12-01-2009, 07:51 PM
At the risk of being serious for a moment... OC raises a good point...all the other fishing forums have a sub forum for non related fishing stuff...some have a "town Tavern" type of things where politics and sports and crabbing ( not gathering crabs...crabbing...you know) can occur...it's seems like we should have one also... then ,for example, certain threads don't need to get contaminated with by product....like the issue of whether we are a private club...stuff like that.....people can fire away. Maybe I should bring it up with the moderators and also see what Juro's knee jerk reaction is.

Eric
12-01-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm building a weir across the Alsea. That way I can sort out the wild fish from the fin-clips and then kill the wild ones. That way we won't have to worry about this stuff much longer. At least on the Alsea. Note that this is a selective fishery.

The two ideas for sub Foria (plural of "Forum"??) are good ones. Why not?

Cheers,

Got to get back to the weir. There's a full moon tonight and the fish should be running.

juro
12-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Look guys, let's try to bring this back to fishing, political correctness and all that.

I suggest a fish species section to list all of the species in easily identifiable pictures so that people who catch a fish can determine what they have caught.

For instance, these are largemouth bass:

http://www.bikernet.com/news/images/PhotoID15283.jpg

:lildevl: (it must be winter!)

petevicar
12-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Now that is more interesting.
Here are a few:

Permit - sorry about the spinning rod
http://ultimatelunker.com/images/jamie1.jpg

Bonefish
http://www.topnews.in/usa/files/bonefishing-girl.jpg

Dolphin
http://www.floridasportsman.com/gallery/community_photos/0806/019-0806.jpg

striblue
12-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Juro, I am shocked...this is a family board....having said that...nice pic... Do you think we should have a forum for "Misc."...need a good name though. Is it dffficult to reprogram the headings and set that up? This is me with my high end flyfishing tuna gear.http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/striblue/FatGuy.jpg I could not help it...sorry for spoiling the previous pics LOL

petevicar
12-02-2009, 09:20 AM
There is always this tarpon from Puerto Rico.
http://www.fishinginpuertorico.com/images/Claudia%20Sbalo%20Playa.jpg

OC
12-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Boy, the pictures of your wives are really nice, thanks for sharing. Not only are they great fisher women but also believe in water safety by wearing those flotation devices. John, you get better looking every year, nice pic. I must say you still are a gear hog, always have been and always will be one. You got rods in the rafters and guns on the mattress. No wonder tuna are scarce.
By the way I think Eric is using the proper scientific methods of culling fish. My wife just told me I have to stop this foolishness, clean up my mess in the kitchen and go find a job.
See ya,
OC

Eric
12-05-2009, 10:48 PM
I wish I could catch a tarpon like that.

KerryS
12-31-2009, 04:14 PM
I wish I could catch any of those execpt for the hairy one with the guns.

flytyer
01-01-2010, 12:49 AM
OC,

What would you want to go and ruin your perfectly good early retirement by getting a job? Unless of course said job was testing new rods, lines, etc. on the rivers around your new digs for the purpose of letting said developers of these implements of steelhead fish catching input needed to make them better. Only thing is if you get such a gig, you cannot under any circumstances enjoy yourself as you test said implements or you could be accused of doing nothing more than mere fishing for enjoyment, and that cannot be permitted.:biggrin:

OC
01-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Flytyer, I'm fishing a lot on new home river and there are many steelhead around. So don't worry about me and fishin. The job is to stay out of trouble while I'm not fishing, reading, shoveling snow or making dinner. I work two days a week as a chair lift operator at the resort 15 minutes up the road. Pay is bad but free ski pass to all three ski areas close by. Oh ya I'm back into tele skiing again after a 20 year retirement from being a ridge hippi at Bridger Bowl in Montana. It's hard work this skiing at my age, fishing is a little easier. Sinktip may come down and fish in the next few weeks give him a call and come down with him. Kerry same goes for you too!

flytyer
01-03-2010, 10:00 PM
OC,

Working at the ski area seems more like a way to pass the time and get the free passes for your family than a job, which means there is hope you won't be looking for a full-time job and completely giving up your early retirement. Besides since you are just looking for something to keep you out of trouble, the pay shouldn't get in the way of doing something you enjoy.

I really wanted to get down and fish for summer runs this fall, but work got in the way. I'll have to get in touch with Duggan and see if we can arrange it to come down together. Especially since there aren't any steelhead to speak of around here.:hihi:

andre
01-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Take this poll/test

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/Media/Games/Picture_Fun/Other_Games/Cougar_or_Not_2

OC
01-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Andre, that was really scary. I didn't have the courage to take the test and I hope you don't hang out at sites like that often. Wonder how many of the women who's pictures are on this thread will look like that in 20 years? Same goes for the guy with the guns he must look like he does because he has a wife that is a cougar. Have you been fishing? Today I'm going to change from fly fishing to heavy gear for sturgeon. Never done it but will be fun to hang with the locals down by the big river.

andre
01-06-2010, 11:05 AM
OC, It is worth looking around that site. There is some real funny stuff in other areas. How does the LOWER portion of that river look these days? It used to fish well after a cold streak in the Spring.

OC
01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Andre, the lower runs are fishing well. There is still a lot of sand in each run from the glaicer giving way a few years ago but the faster water in each run is clean of sand. I have been fishing just 4 or 5 runs on lower section from run just above where one crosses over on foot bridge for hydraulic pipe down to strait where river empties out into Columbia. Once you figure out each run it not too bad as each run of fish seem to hold in exact same place on way up river. I'm happy to have a river to fish close to home and the Hood will do. Not a great river but seems to be plenty of fish this time of year. I seem to be the only person swinging a fly, even the local guides use bobbers and egg patterns. I'm going to start swinging wakers again as soon as it gets cold and the river clears up. These winter fish will come to the top.
Happy New Year.

flytyer
01-06-2010, 11:04 PM
OC,

You'll have to show/teach the fellow who owns the local fly shop there in town how to catch winter fish on a fly. Then you won't be so lonely when fishing:wink: . Only now you're getting spoiled having a river to fish virtually next door to the house instead of having to drive 30 minutes or more (much more for the Skagit and Sauk) like you used to here in WA.

andre
01-16-2010, 11:42 PM
To get this back on topic

http://www.break.com/index/how-to-tell-real-boobs-from-fake-ones.html?matchid=?matchid=

Steve, In the spring there is some great steelhead watching way up river near Parkdale.