Hand Protection [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hand Protection

FLGator
11-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Any proven protection to prevent line cuts and burns on stripping fingers and/or hand(s)?

Wanting to keep it simple I'm leaning towards a product like Flexi Wrap. However, products like the Stripee or even a stripping glove like the Waterworks Lamson Stripping glove to do double duty for sun protection might have merit.

FishHawk
11-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Gamakatsu Finger Protector
$16.50
Developed with the avid flyfisher person in mind, itís use is to protect your finger from the rigors of stripping flies all day and make it a less painful ordeal. Made of soft and pliable neoprene to move with your hand comfortably Scott at the Bear's Den carries them. Give Scott a call he'll take care of you. FishHawk

JR SPEY
11-17-2009, 08:56 AM
I've used FlexxTape, lycra finger sleeves, and other gloves to deal with that problem. Finally, about a year ago I bit the bullet and bought some of the WaterWorks Stripper gloves. Far and away the best solution I've tried. Now, after finishing lunch or something similar, when I forget to put the glove back on, my hand feels naked. I immediately stop fishing and put it back on. I still use a lycra sleeve on my line hand little finger when fishing for fish that take a lot of backing. That's the finger I use to "level wind" the backing back on evenly.

Bob Pauli
11-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Flex-Tape.

JR- Is this the tape you use?

http://www.flextex.com/flex-tape.html

JR SPEY
11-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Actually, the brand name on the stuff I use is Flexx-Rap. I buy it through the wholesaler Ray Rumpf. Almost any flyshop would have access to Rumpf's and should be able to get it for you. I've tried using stuff that looks just like it from a drug store, but found it tended to be too slippery and the flyline would slide right off the finger. It could work on my little finger, but I no longer trust it on my stripping finger. That's where I now use the Stripper glove. Let me know if you need more info.

BN2FSH
12-01-2009, 10:53 PM
I use the little lycra striiping guards. Add a little line cleaner and it helps your line feel slicker and cast better.

sva01
12-02-2009, 06:42 AM
I've tried the lycra finger sleeves and always had problems with them slipping. I bought the Waterworks gloves a number of years ago and could not be more happy. Well worth the money!