Out island car rentals [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Out island car rentals

MartyG
11-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Does anyone have advice on car rental coverage. I've rented privately owned cars for $50 a day that were "arranged" by a resort owner or homeowner. I'm a little worried about the potential liability in case of an accident.

I'm going to Eleuthera in January and the house I'm renting has a similar deal. Any thoughts?

Marty

Guernseybass
11-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Marty, when you pick up the car at governors you will sign a contract . I was concerned too but there is only one main road and very little traffic . Driving at night wasn't a problem apart from the locals driving with their lights full on.

My other advice is to make sure you always have plenty of gas as the nearest gas station can be ten miles or more away

mark

n1gdo
11-20-2009, 07:18 AM
One other thing...

The construction crews tend to lose nails from their trucks on the roads.

One morning I woke to find both right side tires flat from nails!!!

Would you believe that when the owners of Rainbow Inn where I was staying heard me talk about it to someone at breakfast, one of them went out with a tire plug kit and repaired them for me so I wouldn't miss a day of fishing waiting for
a garage worker to come by!!! Thank you Ken and Charlie!

I often thought that if I was going again I would bring a plug kit with me...would also like to have one of those Small Air Foam Cans too so I could inflate but don't think you could pack that in your luggage...not sure....

Anyway a word of caution about the nails...from what I hear it happens all the time...

Good luck...I really liked the island and the people...

Vince
11-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Mark, who do you rent from in Governor's? I rent from Stanton Cooper and have never signed anything, though maybe he is changing his ways.

His cousin owns a garage in Palmetto point, which is a plus as I've taken aaa truck there before to get a new tire, and he carries a cell phone with him. If you ever have a problem with your car he will get you a replacement pronto. Believe me, I know!

Fortunately I have never had a problem with nails. Good advice on the gas, especially as you get further south. Always make sure you are at least half full at all times.

Liability in the event of an accident--check your credit card policies, many will cover you, and many homeowners or auto policies will also cover you. I'm not so sure you could easily be sued if you were in an accident over there.

Henry
11-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi Vince,

In the Spring of 2008, Stanton had started asking for signatures accepting his Ins. underwriters $1000.00 deductable. I said to him "what's up big guy" (he reminds me of Idi Amin he he...)...he says he's been burned too many times. I can understand that...we've left him vehicles we've had for 3 weeks that look like they've been through a war zone!!!.

Just got to love L'utra!!!

Henry

Guernseybass
11-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Hey Vince,

we rent the cars from Arthur Nixon who runs the airport bar, and who is the house manager for the property we stayed in last year and the one this year.

his cars are a bit more modern and he has 4x4's...

we stay down near Tarpum bay, but thats all I am telling you due to the low cost ;)

we are there April 2nd to 12th.

MartyG - I send you a PM with some fishing info.

Mark

nmbrowncom
11-21-2009, 06:41 AM
make double sure that you have full insurance coverage. if you are involved in an accident that results in injury or property damage, you are likely not getting off the island until it is sorted out irrespective of fault.