Anything happenin? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Anything happenin?

juro
10-23-2009, 11:45 AM
I've been tied up with "stuff" for weeks and unable to get down to check the fall migration... anyone have cape reports to share?

(I'll report on my findings after the weekend)

FredA
10-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Looked around wednsday, not much where I looked. Fished early at my home waters, no bait, no birds, no fish. Didn't even flush any sandeels when walking in the creek. Rick showed up and said it had been dead since last weekends weather. Fish were around prior to that. Rode around looked at places like west dennis/bass river, chatham light, sandy neck... all sterile looking. Stopped at a beach I use to fish with basser this time of year for a look. Lot's of bait and the word was fish were there earlier.

Purrty day though

Dble Haul
10-23-2009, 09:23 PM
After fantastic albie fishing since early September, this past storm system may have started their exit from RI and CT waters. They are still around, but not in the same numbers or intensity as previously. Bass and blues still abound, and the South County area will hopefully see its typical fall blitzes in the surf. It's been hit or miss so far in that aspect.

Lefty
10-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Not surprisingly the No. Shore has been given last rights. Over up north.

Rhodey is calling.

Redfisher
10-24-2009, 10:51 AM
I took a ride around the Orleans area this morning and saw no signs of life in the half dozen areas I visited. With all the wind I haven't been out on boat in a while so I have no idea of what's going on down at the rips.

Last week I visited one of the local harbors and found dozens of cormorants and gulls working a school of bait at the back end of the harbor. It appeared that the action was just winding down. I took a few casts but got no hits and only saw two fish break. The suprise to me was the fact that the baitfish were halfbeaks. I've never seen halfbeaks in the marshes only in open water.

I have heard a couple of reports of good fishing but no specifics as to location. There are fish around you just have to find them and so far I haven't.

Dan

mikez
10-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Bigs are in the rocks in SoCo RI. Gotta find big bait, easier said than done.
Mullet has been the ticket, no bunker seen - of any size.

sean
10-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Seeing lots of big bunker in soco the past week. Also starting to see large amounts of schoolies. Time to head to the block.

Cape should definitely still have fish on the southside. A little spot I fish out there was giving up fish to 30 pounds last week and I hope to find some more this coming week.

-sean

mikez
10-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Seeing lots of big bunker in soco the past week. -sean

:eek: What?? And I'm sitting here 100 miles away fooling with the computer?
See ya!!!
[Sounds of screeching truck tires burning out of the driveway] :chuckle:

highway61
10-24-2009, 03:21 PM
A buddy and I were down by Watch Hill area yesterday and got into a blitz of blues that lasted more than an hour, many in the + 20" range. Later in the day my buddy caught a couple of stray bass in 20" range off the beach. We covered a lot of ground but later in the afternnoon it got colder and the wind blew harder so we decided to call it a day.

Steve

bonefishmon
10-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Bluefish are usually the last hurrah down here but the way things have been going lately, we could see a big push before the Gannets show up with the last of the herring migration along the South County beaches. If anyone would like to be kept informed that has plans to fish down here, please PM me. We used to have a Clave in October but interest has waned.

Phil

Paxton
10-26-2009, 08:42 PM
went to RIt oday...............Charlstown Breachway and beach, Fire District beach, Misquamicut, East beach and Napatree....dead, dead, dead!!!! No one saw a fish. A few flocks of birds working bait with nothing beneath them 100yds out.........boat guys struck out too. of course...there is tomorrow.
Ron

bonefishmon
10-28-2009, 12:07 PM
As wind and air temps change I've noticed that when there is nothing outside off the beaches, head inside. The sporadic activity we have been seeing along the beaches are most likely due to forage fish leaving the estuaries with bass and bluefish following. I've spent a lot of time listening to our mentors, the elders of this sport and often they are dead one in their hypothesis. It's just a guess. The other day when nothing was happening outside over a three day period I found fish where no one else found them...........inside! Thanks again Art B. Even though you are not with us down here I will always think back to what you taught me as though you never left us for greener pastures.

Phil

bonefishmon
10-29-2009, 01:18 PM
I found bass this morning. Mostly dinks with a few sub legals mixed in. Many were in the wash and it lasted all morning. Nice day coming on Friday. Get down if you can. Start at Weekapaug and work your way west to Napatree.

Phil

juro
10-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Very tempting... I couldn't do early am though hows it been during the mid-day high?

bonefishmon
11-09-2009, 01:15 PM
We're catching mostly schoolies and shad now. Still very sporadic. Early AM is best. Mid day iffy.

Phil