FALL MIGRATION!!!!!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: FALL MIGRATION!!!!!!

juro
10-07-2009, 10:42 AM
or NOT...

I'm stuck in the office and found out I am stuck in the office next week, then heading to Halifax on business so will not see any migratory action for weeks! I hope the atlantic salmon will humor me on the Margaree.

But if anyone taps into it - please post and let me live vicariously. Go ahead and post spots, there is no such thing as spot burning during a migration in fact it's probably the best way to put people on the wrong track :)

JDMuddler
10-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Juro - Have fun on the Margaree! I fished it years ago, it's a beautiful river.

Adrian
10-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Hey Juro

You going to be back for Scallop season ???

9wt
10-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Juro.
Got back last Saturday from week's stay on the Cape with some buddies. Best fishing I have had in five visits; never caught a keeper before but this time I had 8, up to 41" (all released).
All the fish caught at night on the outgoing at well known spot near Sandwich.
One of my buddies also had several keepers but the other not so lucky (he didn't fish as much and missed the best night).
Best fish and several others caught on a black Gurgler with a big lip fished as a wake fly on the swing - the strikes were quite impressive! Remainder on a smallish (3 1/2") red & black Snake fly tied with a rabbit tail.
Sad story was that some spinfishers who waded out to the bar caught a 42 lb cow but after dragging it to the beach and weighing and photographing it, released it without reviving it. It floated past my buddy belly up and between us we spent over half an hour trying to revive it but without success. We couldn't face dragging 42 lbs of fish back along the beach to our house so we left it on the beach where the others would see it on their way out. I hope they made good use of it.
Very little daytime action but there were some scattered pods of anchovies off the beach - only fish chasing them were snapper blues.
All in all a great trip after some disappointing ones over the years with what appeared to be falling numbers and size of fish.