Washington Salmon Report??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Washington Salmon Report???

juro
09-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Anyone? I'm assuming the sound is heating up now. I read that the straits and Ilwaco / Westport were hot this year. Rivers doing well - you guys hittin' them in the usual locations?

KerryS
09-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Fished the lower Skagit for searun cutts the other day. The Skagit is absolutely clogged with pinks. I managed to hook 5 cutts and land 3 with no pinks on at all. A major success in my book. One gear guy drove up to me wondering what I was fishing for with the fly rod thinking I was after coho. He had two coho in the box. I think he really knew what he was doing being able to get two cohos with the mass of pink flesh still milling around. Still it was good to see some silver.

Also seen two guys land and bonk a 5 foot gator (sturgeon). I tried to tell them he was outside the slot limit but I don't think they even cared. Called in their boat description and numbers.

Eric
09-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Hey, I realize this ain't Washington, but we're having the best run of Silvers in two decades (according to some) here in Alsea Bay/River, Oregon. Most are small, five pounds or so, but we've landed and released one of at least 15 pounds. There are so many I'm hopeful the surplus will seed some of the heretofore barren creeks in the Alsea system and we'll begin to see strong runs of streamborn fish within four years (barring another effing El Nino).

Cheers,

Eric

andre
10-12-2009, 12:38 PM
It was slow, slow, slow considering what was expected. Beach or boat, I did not fair well.