RIP TRIP - Sept 26 -27 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: RIP TRIP - Sept 26 -27

striblue
09-19-2009, 05:26 PM
I would love to pull my hair out....but I don't have enough for that social statement. I am willing to stay at it and see if we can do next weekend if Keith can do it from a scheduling (seal Trips) . I can make it and RickW. can....I know JimS can, and probably PeteV and Janman.....CJS60 (Craig) could maybe make it as he said he would be watching the forum. I would expect penguin will be around. I am willing to stay at it until mid October....That would be four attempts give or take. I am setting up this thread. Just sign on if you would like to. I don't see why we don't stay the course if guys can get down to the Cape. I WOULD ALSO HOPE TO MAKE THE CALL ON A GO OR NO GO....BY Thursday...for planning issues. Also, and I forgot...what are the dates for the Bone Clave???? I would not want to overlap. So assume any RT's would be around the Bone Clave and not ON the Bone Clave

Paxton
09-19-2009, 05:44 PM
John, count me (Paxton) and Garry (Polareyez) in for either day next weekend.....thanks for keeping up the try!!
Ron

striblue
09-19-2009, 06:03 PM
OK Pax...that makes 6 already for sure. I don't doubt we can get the numbers , we all just have to be flexable. I am staying at it since the fall trips have been very good. The "worst" rip trip of the many I have been on was this past spring with only about 50 fish caught between the 10 guys....this is why I want to stay at it.

Cole
09-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi John and Jim, thanks for making this happen, I've never been on a Rip Trip and I'm hoping this is the year! Anyways, I'm flexible, and am available either day next weekend.

highway61
09-20-2009, 10:41 AM
John,

I am unable to go on the 26th, but keep me in mind if the trip is on the 27th. If others are interested, can we do a rip trip on the 1st weekend of October?

Steve

striblue
09-20-2009, 02:01 PM
The season is coming to a close so I would love to schedule others for the next several weeks if we don't pull the next off and even if we do we might want to do another if that is at all possible. As long as we have numbers we can do it providing the wind is down.

Guernseybass
09-20-2009, 05:37 PM
as said before, I am definately in for the Saturday 26th.

flydoc
09-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Turns out my folks won't be able to come down until later next month, so I'll be available for either the 26th or 27th. Hopefully the weather/winds will cooperate this time:D
Flydoc

alosa52
09-20-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm in with one other maybe 2 for the 3d or 4th of October.

Larry

grizz0707
09-20-2009, 09:42 PM
will be arriving on the cape on thursday and staying till monday

juro
09-22-2009, 07:19 AM
So wait - there is a rip trip scheduled on the boneclave weekend?

striblue
09-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Juro, I had forgot that there is a bone clave...Is the bone clave sheduled for this weekend?...If so, I think we should not have a rip trip except I would want to know if there are some who are not planning to g to the bone clave... What is the sign up list for the bone clave? Does the group over lap.... Would the 10 guys planning on the rip make them cancel out on the bone Clave...If so I do not want that....But are those guys not planning on the Bone Clave anyway.:confused:

Paxton
09-22-2009, 05:58 PM
John...I feel you are right....people who signed up for either obviously wanted what they signed up for. There are more that 10FF's out there.
Ron

juro
09-22-2009, 07:44 PM
No need to explain. I haven't been able to follow the twists and turns.

So if I understand the responses there is a Rip Trip planned this weekend and another in early October? I may be interested in that one but will be attending the Boneclave this weekend. FWIW for those attending - the hardtail reports have been very positive.

striblue
09-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Well.... The rip trip might end up cancelled anyway. I knew the Bone Clave was coming up but did not think about the exact date. Since we have had so many cancellations, one as recent as last weekend, my knee jerk reaction was to set one up and try for each weekend until we pulled it off. I can not tell exactly who is going to the bone clave, but I am counting at most 8 guys for the BC and I see no overlap, so I don't think the RT will have any effect on the BC participation. Please correct me if I am wrong or missing something>

grizz0707
09-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Looks like i have a ride for the bone clave on satuday and i can make the rip trip on sunday thanks

polareyez
09-23-2009, 07:21 AM
John,

Thanks for the effort.... As mayor of Chatham, I would think you had enough power to get the weather to cooperate..

highway61
09-23-2009, 07:53 AM
With all the back and forth, I am a bit confused. Is the rip trip planned for saturday or sunday? If it is Sunday, I can go....

Steve

striblue
09-23-2009, 08:03 AM
The Back and forth is because I forgot about the bone clave on this weekend...and...Juro raised the question of two events scheduled for the same day...as it turns out those going to the bone clave ar not thinking of the rt and the the RT sign ups were not planning on the BC anyway...so we are back to talking just about the rip trip...ok....finally, I spoke with Simms this morning and he thinks Keith is going to a Pats game on Sunday...so we may be just looking at Saturday and Jim will post later about that....our numbers are not there yet anyway. I have not heard back from penguin, PeteV. and Janman...so our numbers right now are Me, Simms, Cole, Mark (guernsey), Flydoc, Paxton and Gary......only 7 right now.....not enouth to do it anyway..... because that would be just under $100 each. The whole thing did not even have to come up since there is no confusion as to who is going to what!.... and It appears that (except for Grizz) . Simply said..the RT will not effect participation in the BC.

highway61
09-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the clarification John.............

juro
09-23-2009, 09:06 AM
gotcha - good luck out there

Guernseybass
09-23-2009, 10:57 AM
I thought that Csj / craig was in for Saturday too ?

If the RT is cancelled I may fish the refuge

GB

striblue
09-23-2009, 01:57 PM
That's correct Mark, Craig would sign up if he is following the Forum. He said he would watch it and would go if he could. So, I would need him to chime in.

jimS
09-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Talked to Keith regarding the rip trip. He is available for Saturday. Predicting the weather for Saturday before Friday afternoon, is a crap shoot. Keith uses multiple weather sources to make his call. He was spot on last Saturday, the sw winds were howling in the afternoon. So, long range weather forecasting, especially on the elbow of the cape has its own micro climate with the ocean and sound systems merging) is an inexact science at best. As Penguin would say, get ready to standby. I'll post Thursday afternoon with the forecast, but Keith will make the call Friday, about 4 pm. FWIW, its not the landing at the dropoff, it is the pickup on the afternoon. A strong SW wind makes it tough, and the walk back to the northern end of South Monomoy is not fun.

striblue
09-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks Jim... right now we still don't have the numbers...so we may not be on even if the weather is ok

flydoc
09-23-2009, 04:42 PM
I propose that if we don't have the numbers to make it reasonably affordable to go (no more than $75-80 per person, which is a fair amount in today's economy) by 10 PM THURSDAY NIGHT, that we can it for Saturday and start shooting for the following weekend. That way we have a better shot at the numbers (with no conflict with the Bone Clave), as well as the flexibility of Sat vs Sun outing, depending on the weather (unless Keith is planning on going to another Pats game next Sunday). Those who have not already expressed a desire/willingness to go on Saturday, but want to go, please post (or PM Jim Simms or Striblue) ASAP, so we will know by 10 PM tomorrow if we will have the numbers or not. If not, we'll shoot for next weekend and make alternative plans for this one. I feel this is a reasonable approach.
Flydoc

striblue
09-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Jim, I have no problem with that...It appears we don't have the numbers so I would be happy to post by that hour on Thursday that we are off because of numbers...frankly....we are off right now anyway because of this......so we might as well look to next weekend....

alosa52
09-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi John
I will definitely have 2 for the 3rd or 4th and maybe 3. Keep me posted.
Larry

striblue
09-24-2009, 07:48 AM
It is Thursday morning as I type and we might as well just stop efforts for this Saturday right now. I do not expect that we will be getting other sign ups by this evening. So , for planning purposes for those who are waiting...do something else. Lets see what are numbers will be with a separate sign up for next weekend. I will post Monday.

juro
09-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Saturday looks like it's going to lay down real nice.

Rip Ryder
09-25-2009, 04:42 PM
John,

I am available for Oct 3rd, but not the Sunday the 4th.

Keith