Just wanted to share, DIY [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Just wanted to share, DIY

arubaman
09-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Good preparations.
Finding a nice place on the internet with not much known about it.
Checking out to make sure it's the good season. Checking once more to see you even got the moon right.
Traveling almost 40 hours to get to the final destination (amsterdam-london-miami-managua-domestic flight and a rough panga ride)
Discovering paradise!
But...
Bad weather, lots of rains (it was supposed to be the dry season:mad: ), cold fronts and a howling wind. The water cleared out after 4-5 days and it all seemed to come together, when after one day ofg spotting some fish the weather picked up the cold front modus again and there were not even sergeant majors or damselfish to be seen.
It turned even more crappy, mud came in the water and the whole 2 1/2 weeks had 1 day that showed us the potentials of the area.
Dreams did not came true, but the best rum in the world got discovered.

DIY, you win some, you loose some. But it's never a sure options to have good fishing. My buddies and I had a hard time, but still we won't regret we took our chances. Maybe someday we will find that true jewel. And we won't have to be "trigger"-happy all day.

For the time being... One of the buddies made a small clip of our trip on youtube and I think he did an amazing job. We are dutch folks and there are no subtitles, but still wanted to share. hope you guys enjoy:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7FT6i99tfM

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r184/arubamanprikbord/NUVTropical2009/CornIslandsHJspiegelreflexcamera140.jpg

Bjorn
09-09-2009, 09:34 PM
looks for for looking so horrible!

Adrian
09-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Great stuff!!!

surfingfireman
09-10-2009, 09:05 PM
That was very cool! Any idea what you had hooked at the 2 minute mark of the video? Looks like the fish wrapped you around some coral and despite a helper trying to untangle the line, the fish appeared to be lost? A big jack maybe?

arubaman
09-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Yeah, we know what it was... A nice and quite big triggerfish. HJ sightcasted on it and it got on, it started running and I was filming and told him to run after it to prevent it from getting stuck. He realised it maybe a bit late or right in time and started running, but the fish made it of the edge of the reef.
There my buddy stood, sunset with a big fish on and probably stuck. Brian took over the camera and my rod and I started descending from the reef edge towards the business end of the flyline. I heard a yell behind me and felt a strip on the line but on the rod end behind me. I looked back and saw a wave that throw HJ on the reef, he lied there and we could laugh about it. Then the pressure dropped of the line and the fish broke himself off...
Still one of the highlights of the trip (can you imagine how the fishing was....):hihi:

FLGator
09-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Looks like you guys had a GREAT adventure! Thanks for sharing.

doctorsteve
09-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Where is Corn Island?

Never mind, I found it. Google is awesome...