Saturday report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Saturday report

highway61
09-06-2009, 06:19 PM
I took my 16' Sea Nymph, aka "the aluminum can" out of stage harbor on saturday. When I arrived at the ramp, I realized I had my 5 wt. sage XP, not the 9wt. xi2. Damn!! I also had a spinning rod, so I thought would have to use that instead. I was out on the water and anchored up on a sand bar by 6:30. Instead of going with the spinning rod I put my riptide on the XP. I was amazed that the XP could cast a 9 wt. line. I knew I wasn't going to win any long distance casting prize but I didn't need to. I cast into the fly out 40' or so and let the moving water do the rest.

As it turned out the 5 wt ended up being a good choice becasue I spent most of the morning catching small bluefish, not many over 20". It was non-stop action. The problem was keeping up with them. They kept moving back and forth pushing bait 50' off the refuge shore. Looking down in 8' of water I could see hundreds of them. They were feeding on clouds of sand eels. It was blast! By noon I had caught more than 30.

While in the midst of this blitz, I watched 3 large birds which I believe were juvenile eagles, swooping down, snagging the blues. Could that be right? Do eagles nest on the cape? I am no birder but they weren't ospreys and they didn't look like hawks. It was definitely a "Wild Kingdom" moment. All in all, a great day on the water!

Steve

PEC54
09-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Those most likely ospreys, blues on a fly rod are a blast.

FredA
09-08-2009, 05:43 AM
Saw you pass by while on the refuge Sunday am.

On a walk down South Beach in late december a couple of years ago OC and Tracy ID'd several bald eagles hanging out in one of the crossovers. They were a hundred yards away and I'd never identify them but being from the pnw OC sees them regularly.