Weekend "Elbow" Report - Aug 29-30 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Weekend "Elbow" Report - Aug 29-30

juro
08-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Massive schools of bunker inside the refuge since May still there, being feasted on by seals, big blues and I am sure big stripers (most likely at night). Schoolies are plentiful, as are huge blues but the bigger bass seem to be elsewhere - my theory is they are just focused on the hordes of bunker. Years past knowing when they make their moves around the area has led to big fish success but not by usual thinking.

If you were lucky enough to have a bite tippet on, the slammer blues were phenomenal on a fly rod, incredible battles of epic proportions. These were no mild-mannered blues...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/destinations/capecod/chatham/gulped.jpg
Hate to see any schoolie hurt... moment of silence

Bayside had post-storm surf and water temps nose-dived due to the weather patterns. The usual potpurri of bait was MIA and so were the fish. Might as well be fishing in December, wet-waders were sufferring; glad I had my waders on because I could feel the chill through them. I'm sure things will bounce back from a few days of sun this week but the "end is near".

Due to the storm I did not bother to check out the outer beaches.

Oyster season opens tomorrow :)

FishBum
09-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Juro, thanks for the report. I'll be down there on Thursday and I'm actually hoping to run into some of them Gorilla Blues! A few bass would be nice too ;). I love fighting blues on a fly rod though...They're so nasty!

jimS
09-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Bass inside of refuge yesterday and today, biggest about 30 inches, but with the amount of bait, the big boys ought to be roaming... Interestingly, no blues.

juro
09-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Wow did Silas have a nice blue to the shore this morning! Epic battle. Don't forget the bite tippets if you're headed this way.