Bonneville count????? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bonneville count?????

Moonlight
08-14-2009, 11:30 PM
This can not be true! Any computer litterates out there that can tell me this is right?

Eric
08-15-2009, 02:34 PM
There are record numbers of summer steelhead in the Columbia between Bonneville Dam (first counting station) and The Dalles Dam. Fishing in the Deschutes so far has been excellent -- like the 60's and 70"s. I won't be able to hit the Deschutes until September, but, it's hard waiting.

Link:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/bill_monroe/index.ssf/2009/08/bonneville_summer_steelhead_co.html

http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/op/fishdata/home.asp

Cheers,

Eric

juro
08-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Mind-boggling! Where's my steelhead gear?

Moonlight
08-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Eric my fishing partners and I actually thought it was some kind of internet hoax or glitch. Thanks for the news links.
Juro with the fishing at NEAH bay underway and the Skeena counts looking solid as well it has the earmarks of being a real fine Fall but Fall always is fine:smokin:

juro
08-16-2009, 07:06 AM
wow... if I hadn't had to burn so much vacation for divorce related crap :mad: I would spent all of my available days off out there this fall. I might borrow some from next year at this rate!

OC
08-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Moonlight, Juro,and far away fisher folks if your out to fish the Deschutes let me know and we have plenty of room for visitors.
OC

Gregory DeFoe
08-18-2009, 08:04 PM
OC
I'm coming out the end of Sept. to the Deschutes. First time, any help/advice would be appreciated.
Greg deFoe

Eric
08-18-2009, 08:57 PM
See my Deschutes article on the Forum Home Page. You'll have to scroll down a bit, but the information is still relevant.

Good Fishing

Eric

juro
08-18-2009, 09:39 PM
http://www.flyfishingforum.com/articles/ericbigler/index.htm

OC
08-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Gregory, Eric did a great job in his article, must reading for your first trip out. You will enjoy this beautiful country and a grand wide river. But watch out for snakes!:devil:

KerryS
08-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Not sure I like to see all these steelhead. Yeah, I know, bitch when there are no steelhead then complain when there are. Wonder what the counts will be over Lower Granite later in the season? My annual trip to the Ronde was to be cancelled this year because of the ever increasing popularity of the river and a waning interest in steelheading in general on my part. A friend that has never been steelheading in the desert convinced me to make the trip one more time.

OC
08-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Hey Kerry, you old sour puss:hihi: But I know what you mean. Yesterday found a little trout stream totally covered in heavy dark shade by the house. I think it's going to be one of those " would you like some nice small trout for breakfast to go with the eggs dear"? Flyrod and a can of worms and no crowds except for a few elk, deer and deer flies. Child hood is coming home as life moves on.

juro
08-20-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm sure we'll now hear from BPA and Plum Creek etc that:

1) this proves there is no impact from dams and
2) clearcutting should continue until morale improves

I would reply:

a) can you freakin' imagine what this year would have looked like before dams and erosion????

OC
08-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Up at 4 am and off to the Deschutes for 1st trip out. Still dark when I stepped into river but could see the river had no vis. Blew out yesterday I guess from white river and two days of hot weather. Should have known better but the excitment of steelheading got the best of me. Will wait for cooler weather before going again. Fish counts remain strong.

Moonlight
08-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Sounds a lot like the Hoh most of the time lately

Dave17
08-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Ahhhh the Deschutes curse has finally been lifted for me! Been here for over a week. The White has been a big problem but can be overcome by fishing big black winter patterns. Nothing on top yet all the fish have come from fishing deep.

Eric thanks again for last year.... it made the learning curve much shorter this year. The two hander is really starting to feel second nature at this point.

http://gallery.me.com/dkopij#100546

Setting out to float Pine Tree to Heritage again this afternoon. If anyone is on the river from now until Friday look for the guy in the maroon kick boat with a dog on the back and give a wave:smokin:

OC
08-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Way to go Dave! Have you hooked any wild fish? I'm still going to wait for clearer water so I can fish a floating line on top.

Moonlight
08-31-2009, 06:10 PM
Hey OC I am waiting until there are at least 750,000 steelheads over Bonneville then.....:lildevl:
Actually I have a live in "Caregiver" to take over here at home in mid September I hope to get lost somewhere in Cascadia shortly thereafter for a month or two;)

juro
08-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Hey guys count me in - fall steelhead is in the cards this year for me :smokin:

Gregory DeFoe
09-01-2009, 07:39 AM
Going out the end of Sept. 9/26-10/1. First time on the D a complete greenhorn. Fishing on 9/28 with Larimer Outfitters, room in the boat for 1 more if anyone is interested. Rest of trip is diy, open to suggestions/company.
Greg DeFoe

juro
09-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Vewy vewy tempting!

Gregory DeFoe
09-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Juro
You have a pm
Greg

OC
09-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Looking forward to seeing you all in September and moonlight maybe we can head on over to the Snake sometime after they stop letting water out of the dam. Looking forward to one of those wonderful days like old when one could hook 4 or five fish on first pass through and all on top too. With so many fish headed that way I worry about snagging fish using a floating line and an OC.:smokin:

Dave17
09-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Thought anyone who has ever fished the Deschutes would enjoy these.....

http://gallery.me.com/dkopij#100554

juro
09-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Cool.

Hey have all those tens of thousands of fish that passed thru Bonneville made it thru the Dalles yet?

OC
09-05-2009, 11:19 AM
8 to 10 thousand a day over the Dalles. Weather a bit rainy and cool this holiday weekend which means glacier melt on Hood will have slowed down. This following week could be good.

Dave17
09-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Got off the water thursday morning.... reports came in that everything started clicking by thursday evening. A couple of guys said the action below Mack's was "silly" thursday night and saturday morning.

Eric
09-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Wonderful pics, Dave. Many thanks!

Eric

KerryS
09-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Well it has started. One day of 10,000 plus over lower granite and several with 4 to 6 thousand steelhead. Seems they are arriving early also. My trip to the Ronde in a few weeks could be very productive. I hate to complain but I sure hope the angler counts don't rise with the steelhead counts. It already seems crowded at the Ronde. I will need to put on my happy face when some guide has his clients running spoons with a fly rod in the middle of my water from his drift boat. Gee, hope you catch something and now get the hell away from me. Whoops, excuse me, did I cast over you line?

juro
09-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Sounds like things will be best in September this year unless things dry up. Hmm.... my plans may have to change.

OC
09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Fished this morning before first light. Deschutes running clear at least through today, tomorrow may be green again as weather in Portland is going to be 85. Loads of fresh fish were rolling in 1st 1.5 miles of river until about 0700. After that did not see any fish movement. Broke off nice fish on about third cast, fishing on top. A bit later had a fish nose a waker but it never came back for more. Only fished two hours but some have been saying that when sun comes up over hills and hits the river fishing has been good for about 1/2 hour or so before fish sit tight. Gear guys on other side were doing well with spinners. If fishing a sinktip in summer turns you on you might do real well.

Eric
09-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Hey, Gang,

My ex-pat German daughter and her husband were here and demanded a Deschutes trip. My other daughter signed on, and we put in at Buckhollow and blasted on down: one oar boat (me and the wife and eight tons of gear) and one paddle raft (the "kids" median age 35 and all earning more than the national debt plus lots of vacation time besides).

Camped first night at lower Dyke (no, not the nature of a former girlfriend, although, actually, it could be). Raised five steelhead within the first hour, landed but three: two hatchery, one streamborn. Next morning, fishing same water (which had risen about three inches overnight, hooked only one streamborn fishl, and a darkening one at that. Floated down to Lockit, camping at the girls' favorite campsite from thirty of their years on the river. The drift at the campsite is notorious. Many, many of my friends and myself have caught their first-ever Deschutes steelhead in this drift. I caught a streamborn above, caught nothing in the usually reliable water below.

Same thing next morning. ??????

OK: water's up; fish are moving. In between pulses of fish. Luck the first night. Same Old Same Old for the rest of the trip.

Anyway, the first night blew my mind. Thought it was going to be too easy. Slammed back quickly to earth.

Just for fun: favorite fly for this time of year? Thunder and Lightning hair-wing. Looks enough like an October Caddis that fish respond. Also hooked or raised fish on an orange-butted Ackroyd and an October Spey.

Cheers,

Eric

OC
09-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Eric, sounds like it was a great family adventure. I'm amazed what a fly way the Deschutes River is as flocks of geese and ducks use the south to north dirrection of the river in their migration route. All morning the honking of geese in tight formation was a sight to see as they headed south.
The fish that were not clipped are they all wild fish or could some of them be hatchery fish maybe from a Native American hatchery where they might not be clipped?
Hope to meet you one of these days maybe when Juro gets his but on a plane and heads out to fish.

juro
09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I am champing at the bit!!! :Eyecrazy:

Eric
09-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey, OC,

That would be great.

I'm starting to use the term "streamborn" to describe fish with high, clean dorsals and a complete adipose fin. "Native" seems a bit of a stretch, since Deschutes fish have had decades of interbreeding with hatchery fish and all fish in the system are most likely a genetic stew. "Wild" is OK, I guess. But I prefer streamborn. Maybe the Kauffman's will cut me a deal

Cheers,

Eric

Moonlight
09-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Only problem is, choices, lots of em! I am once again reminded of a line that Lefty dropped on me several many years ago about being surrounded by dozens of rising fish "I feel like a mosquiito in a Nudist Camp, I just don't know where to start.:lildevl:

OC
09-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks Eric, I think you have it totally right. I will try and use the word streamborn also. Is this streamborn being used in other places and by organizations like the WSC. I've been away for awhile so I'm trying to catch up.

And Moonlight can't figure out where to Buzzzz to. I'd say if you are going to go way North now before the pacific low pressures really start to come Eastward. They are out there but are staying very high way up in Alaska on the most part for now. You are always welcome to use our home, barn, or log cabin as a base or our power and water if you bring your trailer down this way. It's about 50 minute drive to the river and that is with a stop to buy a cup of coffee.

Went by the river this afternoon and it was running a very very green color. Temps are very warm at and around 90 west of Cascades so Mt Hood Glaciers barfing big time for now.

Eric
09-12-2009, 11:45 PM
I think I'm going to be on the river next Friday, if a Snagglefamily (never mind) raft-cum-steelhead trip works out. Hopefully it will cool off a bit and the White River Glacier will cease spewing its guts. BTW: the upper river (Warm Springs to Maupin) will be RED HOT for steelhead in mid-Sept (now) through the end of October. One tricky rapid and drifts very few between are all that keep people from 10 Steely days. A sure shot would be a walk-in at South Junction. A long, lovely drift beside the islands there, and usually good steelheading.

Cheers,

Eric