This Vs That [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: This Vs That

octopusshrimp
07-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Would like to hear from others who are as sick & tired of people who put others down for the way they choose to fish. You know who you are and all you are doing is hurting our sport. We as anglers, Fly,spin, running line or any other method would be best served if we unite rather than fight amongst ourselves. The larger question is are we abusing the resource as anglers rather than your not a fly fisherman because you use a running line a weight to get your fly down to the fish. I use running lines and weight but I also use more traditional methods to fish for Great Lakes Steelhead. Because someone uses a particular method to fish does not mean that person is doing harm to our fishery. I'm in a rage right now because you arse poles are hurting us by dividing us. There's power in numbers and we need all we can get right now.

JohnM
07-21-2009, 05:09 PM
First, there are folks in all types of fishing that have a "burr under their saddle" for someone who fishes another method. I am a traditional flyfisherman and I have had both "chuck and duck" folks and egg folks make comments at me about my type of fishing while I am either nymphing with an indicator or throwing a streamer for steelhead. And this is having never having seen them or spoken to them in my life prior to their comments. I have also seen "traditional" flyfishing folks make comments about the other groups as well in the same manner. I have also seen guys who pin get a very very long drift in front of other fisherman down river with total disregard for anyone else. I have also seen some pin guys ask if they minded if they fished a narrow stretch with me, which I am always ok with because the where kind enough to ask and I can learn something from them.

I could care less what method someone uses to fish for steelhead as long as it is legal and they are practicing stream etiquette. In fact, I have learned some GREAT secrets from some of the egg fisherman that I have met over the years on the tribs and Salmon river. There are traditional flyguys and chuck and duck guys who have snagged fish.....and traditional guys and chuck and duck guys who have not.

Each person owns the right to take care of the fisheries. Do you take a trash bag in with you while fishing and take some trash out as you find it ? Have to stopped and offered to help someone who is fishing that seems to be struggling ? Have you truely been interested in how others fish to actually show interest and understanding on their method ? It is very possible you do all of these things. I know I can do a better job of that.....

I think your intent was to try and bring folks together but as I read your email, I am not sure you have opened the door for folks to have some healthy dialogue....

I am not taking a shot at you by any means as you obviously care about this.

I too, am tired off people make a comment about me being a snob without even knowing me. I met a group of egg guys on a trib last fall and and they where catching fish left and right. At that point, I got frustrated watching them and formed an opinion about what they where doing. I then caught myself and said, "wait".....they are fishing a legal method and putting all fish back after being caught. They said hello to me as they walked by and we talked for 30 minutes on the side of the river. I learned more about that trib in that 30 minutes than I had learned in my previous 4 years of fishing it. They told me all kinds of places on the river that always held fish......they left and I proceeded to hook at least 20 fish in some of the spots they told me to try. If I ever see those guys again, they will get some cold beers from me for sure. That being said, I know some would make an argument about the mortality rate of bait or chuck and duck or traditional methods. I have my own personal feeling on this but it does not change the laws that are on the books.

I think at times we forgot that we can control how many situations go by the way we react and respond to them.

Here is to tight lines, fast chrome and great conversations for all on the river.:)

Cheers,
John

jimS
07-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Excellent response to the question. I fish the Erie tribs, and have to say that, like you, I have met all kinds. I agree that it doesn't matter what type of equipment you use as long as you are having fun and it is legal.

But, my pet peeve is the guy(s) that move in on you when you are catching, and at times like they want to hold hands. My response is usually, "am I in your way?" It normally goes over their head, and their response, "no, you are not in my way." I move on and shake my head.

striblue
07-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Putting down other types of fishing has nothing to do with fishing... it's the person...and probably one who does that to others involving other aspects of life....we see it here and I have over 10 years of being on this forum as well...the anti-golfer elitist, the anti spin guy, the anti this or that..... it's the same kind of guy who puts down his kids and wife, etc, etc. You know the guys...you can spot them a mile away.

octopusshrimp
07-27-2009, 01:47 AM
To answer your question John, Yes I have opened myself up to input from fisherman who not only use different methods to fish than I do, but also have very different opinions on what is important to them from a conservation point of view and an ethical point of view. The reason I started this thread was to try to get people talking who might otherwise be on opposite ends of the spectrum. In other words Unity among the Chuck & duck, Two Handed, Spin, Traditional fly, float fishermen. accentuate the positive! To be quite honest I can be just as effective with a floating weight forward as I can with a running line. But that's not the point. The point is to bring us all together by opening a discussion to better understand each other so we can be a little more forgiving of each other. Finally I'm not going to blow my own horn but I do my part on stream by picking up trash, making sure my impact is as close to zero as possible and release all but one fish to eat oh, every few years! Among other things. Is that enough? Probably not but I don't feel like its my responsibility to make up for another fisherman who wants to do unethical things. Its my responsibility to make sure I abide by the law. Thanks to all who replied and lets give each other a break!

octopusshrimp
07-27-2009, 01:57 AM
John, I don't think I answered your question after all so let me ask. What are your suggestions as to how we can open up healthy discussion! I see where you might think I haven't opened the door to healthy discussion because of my anger. So you just reminded me that my response to situations can have an impact on the out come for better or worse. Excellent!

Jim Miller
07-27-2009, 05:59 PM
old Amish saying:
All the world is odd .... except you and I
and sometimes I worry about you. :tsk_tsk: :Eyecrazy:

It's a big world out there .... with plenty of room for everyone. As long as we all play nice....

geardaddy37
08-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Yup, we have to share the resources. I found that if you don't want to be around other people it's best to find places that take effort to get to. Most folks aren't going to take the time and trouble to bushwhack in a couple of miles to a nice secluded area. the same issues come up with my other pursuits, especially mountainbiking. Hikers, equestrians, and other assorted nature walkers are sharing the trails. It is up to me to be the big person and to accomodate others. I was always taught that the way people act is not so much a reflection of what I am doing, but more an indication of how they were raised. but as the previous poster stated, when I can redirect my anger and find a way to get a long, I usually learn something.