To much for my 8wt. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: To much for my 8wt.

t.kelly
07-18-2009, 04:45 PM
A week ago while on vacation I decided to fish Morris Island one evening. As I was walking down the stairs I noticed a spin fisherman battling, then losing, what appeared to be a good fish. Walking past him I mentioned that I saw the nice fish he dropped, he pointed to the shore line and said " but that one didn't get away." There laying not 10 ft. in front of me was a 36in. striper. He told me that there was a school of bunker around and he was using the old weighted treble hook , snag the bunker, and catch a nice fish method. He also said he lost a much larger fish earlier. I knew I had to change my my sparsely tied sand eel fly and rummaged around until I found the largest deciver I had. I started fishing about 50 yrds. up shore when after a dozen or so cast I hooked into a fish. The fish didin't make any wild runs but she easily took back any line I could gain on her. About 5min. into the fight I see a huge swirl, and now I'm thinking this might be a fish of a lifetime. Then it was if a refrigerator fell from the sky , an explosion of water and then my line went slack. My heart sank as I started to reel in but soon felt the weight of the fish again. All of a sudden the fish comes half way out of the water, and I have two quick thoughts. Stripers don't jump, and though a nice fish not a lifetime fish. Another huge swirl and splash follow as something grabs the fish and heads out towards Monomoy leaving a humongous wake at warp speed. I'm standing there doumbfounded when the screaming of my reels' drag snaps me back to reality. Looking down I see my backing is melting away faster than an icream cone on a 90 degree day. I grab the spinning spool and the beast breaks the line without slowing down. Reeling in I'm hoping that its the tippit that broke but I soon see my backing flapping in the wind with nothing attached to it. I looked down the shore because I knew the spin fisherman witnessed the hole event. He yelled back at me "Big seal got your fish". So I'm left there with no fish, no flyline, but I do have a pretty good tale to tell.

PEC54
07-18-2009, 05:27 PM
SEALS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigDave
07-20-2009, 08:04 AM
I lost a bluefish to one on Saturday. They are a pain.