Fly Fishing Forum banner

HATCH reels

6K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Gseries69 
#1 ·
Looking for input on these reels from anyone who uses them...likes, dislikes, problems, etc. Specifically the HATCH 9+

Thanks

#2 ·
Gseries69 said:
Looking for input on these reels from anyone who uses them...likes, dislikes, problems, etc. Specifically the HATCH 9+

Thanks
I've used my 9+ for tarpon, permit, stripers, false albacore, and steelhead. Other than the Mako, I believe it is at least as fine a reel as there is available. The sealed drag actually stays sealed, the outgoing click is really pleasant sounding (my striper guide on Cape Cod said it might be the best outgoing click he'd ever heard.) I like the handle and how easy it is to change spools. The integral reelfoot means there's no corrosion happening between the reelfoot and the frame (a notoriously difficult place to get to.) I'll beat Salmo to the punch by saying that Danielsson reels are in the same class (and there are several others) but I've used both Danielsson (though not the brand new redesigned models) and Hatch reels, and if I had to choose I'd pick the Hatch. Plus they're US made, which always scores a few points in my mind.

#3 ·
Nautilus CCF Reel

Another reel you might want to take a look at is the Nautilus CCF which has a sealed drag and is also made in the USA. Great customer service .
The drag is cork /synthetic hybrid using the best of both materials and the price is comparable to the Hatch. I've had no problems with my reel . FishHawk

#4 ·
I have used my 9+ for tarpon, G.T.s and all sorts of other things.
I agree very much with JR SPEY that it is one of the best reels made, only surpassed by the Charlton Mako.
In my opinion this reels are far superior to Danielson and Nautilus.

I also have a 7+ that I use for bonefish. I had a small problem fishing with this reel in the Seychelles. It was so hot there that reel expanded to such an extent that I could not tighten the drag sufficiently. Every where else I that I used the reel there has been no problem.

#5 ·
I wouldn't be able to make a judgement/comparison without having a decade of proven trouble-free performance in the field like I have with Danielsson reels. I realize opinions are just opinions but I don't see how anyone could reach such a conclusion without owning and putting both through the rigors of time and toil.

I can see that the price is over $200 cheaper for the Danielsson 8twelve vs the Hatch 9+, which blows my mind. Even the 9thirteen is $80 less and it's much more reel.

However if I ever have a reason to change from the price/performance balance I've enjoyed for a decade (not to mention the sexiest reels out there) Nautilus and Hatch are on the short list.

#6 ·
juro said:
I can see that the price is over $200 cheaper for the Danielsson 8twelve vs the Hatch 9+, which blows my mind. Even the 9thirteen is $80 less and it's much more reel.
I'm curious as to how you've determined that the 9thirteen is "much more reel." I compared the Hatch 9+ to the 11fourteen, as that's one of the models I fished for years when it was Loop/Danielsson and the capacities between those two are pretty close to the same if you use the mid-arbor spool of the 9+ Hatch for the comparison. Again, I've not used the brand new Danielssons, but I used the LW8eleven and the HD 11fourteen almost from the day they were introduced until the Loop/Danielsson breakup. I've also used the Hatch a lot the last three years or so, so it would seem I have as much experience comparing the two as most anyone would have. As I said, they are fairly comparable, but I wouldn't hesitate to choose the Hatch first. I have less experience with the Nautilus, but would say that, in general, they are in the same class. If the 9thirteen is $80.00 less than the Hatch 9+, then I would guess that the 11fourteen, which is equivalent in capacity, at least, is probably about the same price. I was unable to confirm that because I could not find prices for US sales on the Danielsson site, and the lone Danielsson dealer in the US does not appear to have prices on its site. In fact, I couldn't even find Danielsson listed at all among the twenty or so brand names on that site. I think it's fair to say that someone could buy any of these three reels and be very happy with what he/she got. I responded because I have put a lot of time in with the Hatch and that was specifically the question proposed by Gseries69.

#7 ·
juro said:
. I realize opinions are just opinions but I don't see how anyone could reach such a conclusion without owning and putting both through the rigors of time and toil.
Hi Juro

I have owned a couple of Danielson reels, when they were sold as Loop. I don't remember which models they were but were as you could guess top of the range.
I had a lot of problems with the brake systems and came to the conclusion that they were badly designed and got rid of them.

I have a Nautilus which is a pretty reel but it is very flimsy in construction compared Hatch or Mako.

I am a tackle tart and always like to get hold of the latest equipment on the market.

Pete

#10 ·
petevicar said:
You mean the one that sounds like duck quacking when you reel in?:) :)

That's a Shilton. It's a great reel if you are deaf.:hihi:
It has a very good cork drag comparable to an Abel or Tibor but "Quack, quack, quack"
I get lots of comments on that sound. The truth is that it's due to the part that covers and protects the pawl mechanism. It creates a certain reverb effect. It's somewhat like the different gear and pawl sounds that come from classic reels with Delrin sideplates as opposed to ones with aluminum sideplates. The latter are usually tinnier or noisier if the rest of the reel's design is the same. I like the idea of keeping crud away from the pawl itself, but I agree it's a strange sound that results. Overall though, I'd rate the Shilton as the best of the open drag/drawbar/cork drag reels.

#12 ·
juro said:
JR -

I have to say I am impressed with the scope of trials you've done on various reels. Thanks for sharing your experiences and insights.

- J
The only response I can come up with is a cliché: It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. I enjoy passing the info learned along to others as anyone who's spent time with me on the phone knows.:Eyecrazy:

#13 ·

I have owned a couple of Danielson reels, when they were sold as Loop. I don't remember which models they were but were as you could guess top of the range.
I had a lot of problems with the brake systems and came to the conclusion that they were badly designed and got rid of them.

What year the reels were manufactured before 2001 or after. Did they have Danielsson engraving and Loop Logo or only Loop Logo.

You are the only one this, and other forums like Speypages ( many thousands users form North America, Europe etc.) who complain about danielsson design :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy: and specially drag system on on FW, LW , HD , F3W, L5W , H5D or Control

Anything prior to 2000-2001 when LW and HD were born is irrelevant.

BTW, I can contact you with people who experience some problems with Charlton Trout reels 2002-3 production.........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jr. Spey

I was unable to confirm that because I could not find prices for US sales on the Danielsson site, and the lone Danielsson dealer in the US does not appear to have prices on its site. In fact, I couldn't even find Danielsson listed at all among the twenty or so brand names on that site.

Just call shop and ask. The US price is clearly display for anyone who set up account ( e-mail, address and password). You can chose either SEK or US.

N. America Customers do not pay VAT and since the beginning of this year the reel are shipping via Swedish Postal Service which is using USPS what result in NO US Tariffs and broker entry fee !!!!!!!

I would prefer to listen to your opinion on reels you are selling ONLY !!!! and not compare them to the one you do not carry.

from just-reels: ( Hatch Reel)

From California comes a relatively new entry into the premium reel market

The drag is a multi-disc arrangement featuring stainless and Rulon discs. It is sealed and is essentially maintenance free. For instance, the 9+ has a total of ten discs and a total drag surface area of nearly 6 square inches.

Something Danielsson has been using for years. So many reels are made based on
Danielsson ideas.

Just open L5W or H5W , look inside and imagine simplicity which allows you to pre-set 5 different drag ranges ( from near zero resistance to max achieved by turning the knob 300 degree).

Imagine L5W or H5D which can be used with drag range suitable for 7-8 lb Steelhead or Alaskan Rainbow ( level 1) all the way to big Tune ( level 5) . The level 5 ( specially on H5D) is noticeable stronger then old HD.

As for Control ( it was designed with slat water species in mind) anti-reversal reel, just open it and and play with it on tarpon and some bigger monsters. the reel have BMW quality and performance combine with simplicity of the 19-th century wagon.

#14 ·
salmo said:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jr. Spey

I was unable to confirm that because I could not find prices for US sales on the Danielsson site, and the lone Danielsson dealer in the US does not appear to have prices on its site. In fact, I couldn't even find Danielsson listed at all among the twenty or so brand names on that site.

Just call shop and ask. The US price is clearly display for anyone who set up account ( e-mail, address and password). You can chose either SEK or US.

N. America Customers do not pay VAT and since the beginning of this year the reel are shipping via Swedish Postal Service which is using USPS what result in NO US Tariffs and broker entry fee !!!!!!!

I would prefer to listen to your opinion on reels you are selling ONLY !!!! and not compare them to the one you do not carry.

from just-reels: ( Hatch Reel)

From California comes a relatively new entry into the premium reel market

The drag is a multi-disc arrangement featuring stainless and Rulon discs. It is sealed and is essentially maintenance free. For instance, the 9+ has a total of ten discs and a total drag surface area of nearly 6 square inches.

Something Danielsson has been using for years. So many reels are made based on
Danielsson ideas.

Just open L5W or H5W , look inside and imagine simplicity which allows you to pre-set 5 different drag ranges ( from near zero resistance to max achieved by turning the knob 300 degree).

Imagine L5W or H5D which can be used with drag range suitable for 7-8 lb Steelhead or Alaskan Rainbow ( level 1) all the way to big Tune ( level 5) . The level 5 ( specially on H5D) is noticeable stronger then old HD.

As for Control ( it was designed with slat water species in mind) anti-reversal reel, just open it and and play with it on tarpon and some bigger monsters. the reel have BMW quality and performance combine with simplicity of the 19-th century wagon.

Somebody put a bee in your bonnet. First of all, I will not open an account with Danielsson when I have no interest in buying one of their reels. I talk to Harry and Jonny at Streams of Dreams all the time and will ask them about prices the next time I call them. I will not bother a dealer simply to ask about a price so that I can enter it into a post. I'm not suggesting that the prices are being kept secret, only that when using the normal process of establishing the correct price, I could not do so in this case.

As to the comment about my experiences with Danielsson reels, why is the fact that I no longer carry them mean my opinion doesn't matter? I was a dealer for over ten years and used the reels extensively, even more than my Charltons. I made it very clear that I had no experience with the brand new models, but that not many other people did either because they were just introduced. Honestly, Salmo, your paranoia regarding anything seen by you as even remotely critical of Danielsson is ruining your credibility. Others have pointed that out before and now I'm on board with it too. Personally the fact that you appear to be a shill for them I think probably works against them in the eyes of some potential buyers. You really need to stop and think about that. End of sermon. Have a good day!

#15 ·
As for LW and HD they were great based on the testimony of so many anglers!!!!
The newer models were introduced at the begining of this year and based on the serial numbers of F5W, L5W and H5D they have already sold over 2500 as of May this year!!!!!!!!!

#16 ·
a buddy of mine uses a hatch 9 here on the cape and its one of the best reels I have checked out!

here is a link to a different guy who uses a Motorcycle to test "drags" on alot of different reels on You tube, in this link he tests the hatch 9 and you will see how smooth the drag is at high speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqIor36bvzA

awesome reel though and among the very top of whats available now.

I have abels and loops and I'll put a hatch with them anyday.

#17 ·
Thanks for the input. I used the Hatch 9+ on a recent trip to Florida. We started the morning catching snook and then went looking for tarpon but no hookups. I was on a business trip so only got to fish for one day and wanted to learn as much about the area (Stuart) as possible. Guide took me out about a mile or so to a wreck and we fished for good sized albies 9-15 lbs. That is when I used the 9+ and was very impressed with this reel. Incredibly smooth drag, very light weight and felt well constructed. I've never been a huge fan of enclosed drags. I use Islanders and like the simplicity of the cork drag system. But, the system on the 9+ looked like it had a much better seal than other drag systems I've seen. I also like the idea of being able to change from LA to mid arbor depending on the line you wanted to throw. It's an expensive reel but I think worth the investment. I've contacted a local dealer will likey purchase this fall. Thanks again for the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.