Free Fishing Weekend in NY [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Free Fishing Weekend in NY

Quentin
06-26-2009, 06:42 PM
This is one of my favorite weekends of the year: the last full weekend in June is free fishing weekend in the state of New York :cool: . No license required.

I might have to dodge some thunderstorms but I'm going anyway!

Q

Quentin
06-30-2009, 08:11 PM
OK, so I chickened out on Saturday because the weather radar showed a series of thunderstorms heading for the lake I planned to fish (Saratoga Lake) :mad: . I ended up fishing a local lake and caught a nice smallmouth on a new fly I was testing, and got a bunch of sunfish on a woolly bugger that I was casting for carp. The carp seemed to be interested in something, maybe sunfish eggs or fry, but I couldn't get one to hit my fly. The sunnies kept grabbing it instead :rolleyes: .

I did go to Saratoga Lake on Sunday and the weather was beautiful :smokin: . I had a non-ff friend on board so I didn't use the flyrod too much. We were catching a bunch of smallies on the spin rods so I tried the new fly again. I had a few swirls and short strikes but nothing engulfed it. The fly is made using a foam popper body that I cut to make the fly dive and swim, but it needs a little refining. It still works like a popper when I tug the line quickly, and it swims on or slightly under the surface when I pull it slowly. Unfortunately, it rolls and comes to the top or spins when I pull it faster. More testing and modifications are required. The lake also has some huge carp and I was hoping to take a few casts for them but we never saw any in the shallows. Maybe next year!

Q