I lost my dad and best friend. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: I lost my dad and best friend.

PEC54
06-22-2009, 08:20 AM
My father passed away Saturday night to heart failure, he was just shy of his 92nd birthday. I can honestly say I have and never will respect a man as much as I respected him. He was a man of very few words ,but he spoke volumes when he did. His whole life was my mother and his family.He will be greatly missed and I don't know if I will ever get over his passing. Love your parents as much as possible, I had my father for 54 years and it still wasn't enough.

n1gdo
06-22-2009, 08:25 AM
You can give your father no greater tribute than the words in your post.

You said it all.....

So sorry for your loss.

juro
06-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Paul,

When my dad passed on despite my sorrow I recalled vividly all those priceless father/son times we had (as I am sure he would rather have me do) but it seems we never have enough time with our loved ones and I'll take your advice to stay close while we can.

Sorry to hear about your loss,
Juro

Adrian
06-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Paul

My deepest condolences.

I too recall that moment of loss. It feels like a piece of you has been torn away, which of course it has.

And yet time does heal the wound and the memories that remain will always be a great source of joy in the future.

You and your familly are in our thoughts and prayers.

FLGator
06-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Sounds like you had one great Dad. Cherish the memories and pass on the things he taught you. My condolences.

Dble Haul
06-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Paul-

I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing. Rest assured that he will be with you, especially during those times of recalling memories.

Gseries69
06-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Paul,

So sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

jimS
06-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Special times with loved ones are priceless as you described. I regret not being close to my dad until his last few years, and then I realized my loss. Do spend your non-fishing time with your two boys.

Condolences and sorry for your loss.

vtloon
06-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Paul, my condolences for your loss. It sounds like your dad had quite a run. Loved ones and friends pass on, and it's our job to honor them with the way we conduct our lives.

Loon

bonefishmon
06-22-2009, 01:18 PM
What you say about your father I see in you as well. He did a great job passing on his personality skills to Paul. Long live those great memories and best wises.

Phil

Paxton
06-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Paul....I am very sorry for your loss. I know that we have never met, but I was touched by your words. I understand your grief, but I also recognize the gifts he gave you by your description of his values.

Each of us leaves a legacy to our loved ones when we pass on........the more I get up there in age, the more I realize the importance of insuring that those I love, know that they are truly loved. Actions always speak louder than words, but words are great too.

The greatest honor that you can give your Dad is to take what he taught and gave you and.....pass it on. His spirit will continue to live through your actions.

Memories never pass or leave us and you were certainly blessed with many good ones.

Sincerely,

Ron

FredA
06-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Paul.

FishHawk
06-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Paul so sorry to hear about this. My deepest condolences to you and your family.
FishHawk(Bill)

flydoc
06-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Paul- my deepest condolences on your father's passing. I pray my father lives as long a life as yours.
Given the absolute mess we've managed to make of this world (and it's only going to get worse), he's in a far better place now.
Flydoc (Jim)

striblue
06-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Paul, just saw this post as I just got back from Chatham today and had no internet. I am very sorry to hear that. I am still in the process of converting old slides to DVD and the memmories of my dad who died in 99, as well as my mother, at 95 in 07 bring it all back... the years, the fishing , the little league, the ADVICE!!! I miss both of them. Let those memories be his great gift to you.:( . Members of one of the greatest generations for sure. The generation of the founding fathers, the generation of the civil war and the settling of the west, and finally those brought up during the depression, fought a hard war, and then built the country. ... and we were lucky enough to have known members of the third.

Jim Miller
06-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Paul
Sorry to hear of your dads passing. Sounds like he was one hell of a guy!

Cherish the memories....