DIY Orlando area [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: DIY Orlando area

Gseries69
06-15-2009, 03:39 PM
I'll be in Orlando on business June 28-July 2. Looking for any info on DIY fishing from shore. Get out of meetings around 6:00PM near Orlando airport.

Also looking for info on off-shore or guided trips in Indian River/ Mosquito Lagoon. What species are available?

Thanks

juro
06-17-2009, 07:51 AM
I recall there was a lot of discussion about the reds, trout and tarpon in that area - try a search with keywords "Orlando" / "Mosquito Lagoon" / "Indian River" etc

Smcdermott
06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
John Kumiski is a great guide for the lagoons. Not sure how good the fishing is down there mid-summer but I think John would give you an honest answer.

Sean

Gseries69
06-22-2009, 09:43 AM
I purchased John's book and have been reading about the area. It sounds like there are some good opportunites and the fishing can be good this time of year. I plan to book a guide for one day and DIY the other before class starts. Will be fishing the Stuart/Jupiter area and along the Space coast a bit north.

Any one in the area who wants to meet up drop me PM.

doctorsteve
06-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I fished in Stewart a couple of years ago. There was an article in Salt Water Flyfishing about monster Jacks there. I called the captain (guide) that wrote the article, but I can't remember his name now, and he took us out. That was around april. The weather was a little crappy so we couldn't get out to the jacks. We had a nice time fishing for queenfish in the channels. It's supposed to be great fishing there and it's only about an hour from Orlando as I recall. The summer is supposed to be GREAT for tarpon. Big ones. But I'm not sure that you'd fly fish for them. Might be with bait. Good luck.......