Cape Area Campgrounds and Striper Fishing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cape Area Campgrounds and Striper Fishing

blindcurvw
06-11-2009, 03:56 PM
My wife and I are planning to go back to the Cape in a few weeks (4th of July +/- a weekend) and would like to do some tent camping instead of the B&B thing. Since this will be a family trip, likely with another couple or two, I'd like to have fishing access w/in a short walk, bike, or car ride to increase my odds of being able to cast a line in either fresh or saltwater. Ideally, will be near good salt access for stripers or blues.

Any recommendations from the area veterans?

GregD
06-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Hello,

Well there are a bunch of different campsites around. For a family trip Nickerson park is very nice. Great freshwater ponds with trout are a short walk from the site. Cape Cod Bike trail is right there and a short drive to Nauset beach or some of the other local spots to fish for stripers.

There are some other sites to camp on the cape, But I can't name any off the top of my head.

Good luck..
Greg

vtloon
06-11-2009, 07:42 PM
There is a website that lists about 10 good campgrounds; I lost the bookmark but will keep looking. There is one in Dennis and one in Eastham where walking to the flats or beach is easy, but they are oriented to the big rig set. I don't know of many others where you would want to bike or walk to salt.

juro
06-12-2009, 11:20 AM
The one in Dennis is called "Airline" I think on Airline Road, off exit 9 (rte 132) and there's one off 6A in Brewster called shady knoll (?) near the North end of 124. Nickerson State Park is the most beautiful of the lot but slightly more rustic verses the big rec hall approach.

dudley
06-15-2009, 02:34 PM
We were at Nickerson all last week.
In 14 years, same week, it's never been so empty.
With a little luck, there may even be a couple of sites open around the 4th.

tight-lines
06-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Our Family stayed at "Dunes Edge" a couple years ago. Very nice, clean, and wooded. I believe you can walk to the ocean side but I also believe it's a bit of a hike. We had a beach pass for the truck and that worked out well. Lots to do in the area as well and a few freshwater ponds nearby.

flydoc
06-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Please be aware that while Mass has yet to adopt a saltwater fishing license, you ARE required to have a freshwater license to fish any of the ponds/streams here on the Cape if you are age 15 or older (except during the annual Free Fishing Weekend in early June- was June 6 & 7 this year). Nonresident freshwater licenses are 37.50/yr for ages 18 and up, 11.50/yr for ages 15-17. A 3 day nonresident adult license is 23.50. Licenses can be purchased at most sporting goods stores or local town halls, or online from MassWildlife at the following link:

http://www.sport.state.ma.us/

Hope you enjoy your trip here,
Flydoc

blindcurvw
06-16-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! A lot of these are booked for the holiday but haven't called them all yet.