Bass river [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bass river

artsaw
06-11-2009, 04:55 AM
I'm sure some of you are familiar with it ,but would any of you forum members like some info on Bass River?
As where and when to fish it and its access points. Kayak or wading,
I have just about fished it my whole life and has produced some great fish.
It might help when the weather is nasty and you want to salvege the day .
Just trying to help.

Art

FishHawk
06-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Art I would like some info on the Bass River. If you like you can send us a pm . FishHawk

Adrian
06-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Hi Art

That is a very generous offer! My only experience has been kayaking the pond at the upper end during early season but would love to find out more. As you correctly say, when the weather goes downhill (as it frequently when I'm on the Cape :rolleyes: ) its good to have backup locations to fish.

As Bill (FishHAwk) said, a PM would probably be best.

highway61
06-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Art

I have wanted to fish the Bass River for a while, but never got around to exploring it. I will take you up on your generous offer. I plan on coming down to the cape in a couple of weeks. You can pm me with the info too.

Thanks,

Steve

Gseries69
06-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Gave it a shot earlier this spring with poor results so yes, PLEASE PM any info and much appreciated.

vtloon
06-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Art, thank you for the offer. Please add me to the pm list, particularly kayak oriented.

GregD
06-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi Art,

I have fished the area abit from shore, haven't taken the kayak there yet.

I too would appreciate some or your insight on the area.

Thanks, Greg

FredA
06-11-2009, 07:56 PM
There goes the neighborhood.:wink:

JimD
06-12-2009, 07:50 AM
,,,and here is another Vermonter that is interested. It is a kind offer and particularly appreciated by folks like me who are trying to learn the Cape.

Jim

Mike Oliver
06-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Got to agree with FredA. Whilst this can seem like an act of kindness just ask yourself how would you feel if another Angler was to offer info on your local mark to all and sundry and when you turn up to fish one day you can't as there is just no room. Trust me this happens a lot. You will make more enimies doing this than keeping spots to yourself.

Mike

FredA
06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Please note the wink thingy. The comment was intended as humor. It's a relatively spacious estuary.

Once passed mid May I don't fish there much anyway.

Also note that once into June weekend boat traffic can get real annoying.

juro
06-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I've also been fishing Bass River since the legal size was 16" and I was a kid. It always attracts the same type of crowd year after year and what Art has to offer will not change that except for some otherwise unexplored nooks and crannies where almost no one bothers with (but are perfect for peaceful exploration with a fly).

Ironically, one of these nooks is where I first met Art about 10 years ago. No one frequents this particular spot regularly because you would think it's a waste of time but some know better :)

IMHO, Bass River is the perfect spot to increase awareness on. It's a very public and huge location which has a lot more to offer than the current beach towel sand spiker and jetty hopper attention it sees today.

Side note - late summer fall brings bonito and albies in and around Stage Island and frankly the tourists don't even know what species are busting in front of them. I've had people ask me what kind of fish a bonito was when caught on a spoon and whether they were edible. That's the usual caliber of BR angling pressure through the year.

flydoc
06-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Adding to the confusion is the fact that what we call false albacore or "little tunnies" up here are called bonito down south- found that out during a conversation with a guy at a fly shop in Sarasota- told him we had a different fish up here we call bonito, and what we call THEIR bonito- had to convince him that OUR bonito wasn't simply a cero mackeral by a different name (though I guess they are related to each other).
Flydoc