Reports from the Clave [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Reports from the Clave

bonefishmon
06-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Like Warren, I was not able to join the clan this past weekend. First one I've miss in many years. I may do a day trip on Wednesday. What general area held the most fish? Not looking for specific spots but a PM would be very helpful if you have any ideas where I should start.

Phil

juro
06-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Phil -

There are good numbers of big fish around but very few (if any) spots are consistent for the shore bound angler because of migratory behavior. I've literally been run over by great numbers of fish one tide change where it's been barren since.

I think the best bet is to look at tides, wind and bring your rabbit's foot and hope you stumble into some moving fish which is pretty much what we're all doing. The good news is when you do the chance of something big is pretty high right now.

Won't be long though - sand eels are settling in pretty good both sides of the cape so by June's moon tides I'd bet we see more consistency in regular spots, enough to say something is close to a 'sure thing' but right now it's a game of coverage.

Morris Island along the bluffs close to the inlet has rewarded anglers over the past few weeks (I did well there last sat), Pleasant Bay as well. Bayside has lots of good fish but staking out a shore spot has been a gamble as to whether anything will show up or not. Canal has been treating anglers well, Drew at the Squire did well over the weekend on a herring pattern and saw spin anglers landing some serious cows.

Good luck though hope you do find 'em!

bonefishmon
06-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks Juro. Kind of what I was expecting to hear. Looks like I'll be getting a serious workout.

Phil