When the wind is east... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: When the wind is east...

juro
05-24-2009, 08:52 AM
the fishing is least. Let's find the guy who made that up and put him in front of a firing squad! ;)

Yesterday was no exception, although my best fish was a bright 31" among sea-liced schoolies - even they were few and far between up and down the conga line from Bass River, Herring River, Red River, Morris Island. Recent reports of good action along the 3 rivers had lots of anglers at each doing nothing. Also checked up inside PB (e.g. Ministers).

Outer beaches surf was unmanageable and cold north wind and rain ruled out bayside with my co-worker guests without waders.

Morris Island is really sweet past the clam flat when the tide is moving. I'll be spending a lot of tide changes there this year and you should put it high on the clave hitlist.

Overall, yesterday was the first day I cast a fly and it was nice to open with a 2nd cast schoolie and a keeper to cap the day. SW wind today... got some errands to run but will explore more this afternoon.

GMflyfish
05-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Does the converse hold? When the wind is west the fishing is best?
When the wind is north, fishermen go forth.
When the wind is south, hook 'em in the mouth.

Or, When there is no wind, no fish do I find. (How's that for a rhyme?)

GMflyfish

juro
05-24-2009, 11:11 AM
When the psciatic feels blown, just want to stay home :mad:

flydoc
05-24-2009, 02:41 PM
When I'm on duty, can't get me no booty!:hihi:

Penguin
05-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Roses are red...
Violets are blue...
I'm schizophrenic...
And so am I...

juro
05-24-2009, 08:05 PM
HOLY COW... I should wait to post until tomorrow so I could say "you should've been here yesterday" :smokin:

Nothing short of insane this evening. I was laid up pretty much all day with a pinched nerve in the lower back but when 5pm rolled around I did a double dose of Aleve and headed for big girl bar because I just couldn't stand wasting my Mem day weekend any longer.

I hobbled down the steps trying not to look like I had to take a dump in my waders (the pinched nerve walk) and hit my first legal fish in half a dozen casts. I stopped at around 40 fish (didn't count), 9 keepers (which I did keep count of) from shore on the fly. Kept one at the end of just before I left. I was surrounded by fish flashing, waves of pods coming at me with several in my line of sight at any given time. My hands are shredded and my back is so tight it's moving up from my hips to my mid-back but I am smiling and there are too fat filets in the fridge waiting for the grill. About 2.5 hours of fishing including the crap walk to the lot.

Seasons off to a good start for me - 10 legal fish, 50 or so total in 5-6 hours of fishing if you don't include the 'scouting' hours without a rod in hand.

I think clave weekend is going to be good.

FLGator
05-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Just glad you were able to get out!

bonefishmon
05-28-2009, 09:25 AM
All of those fish must have chowed down in a big way because they were full yesterday afternoon. Lock jaw in three spots and headed back home after dark. That food should be digested just in time for the Clave. I thing the cold spell had a little to do with it as well.

Phil

Gseries69
06-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Right now they're calling for an East wind on Saturday turning North 12-14 MPH and then settleing on Sunday to S and light with cool temps all weekend.

What's a traveling angler to do?

juro
06-03-2009, 04:38 PM
My gut feel tells me Wellfleet inside on the flood, Morris Island on the drop.

vtloon
06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
FWIW, Morris was dead on the drop on Monday: good strong tide too.

juro
06-03-2009, 06:05 PM
ahh spring = love / hate

jimS
06-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Morris Island on the outgoing on Tuesday, 34 and 30, plus schoolies. Today, twinks. Move around, and later today, some twinks at Herring Cove. Tomorrow?

bonefishmon
06-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi Jim. I've been concerned about the amount of scouts being caught over the last three or so weeks. The numbers were down last year. Are you seeing good returns of smaller fish recently? Are you staying the month of June? I miss the Cape and will plan an overnight or two when things start to get more predicable.

Phil

Gseries69
06-04-2009, 02:59 PM
My experience thus far is that there have been more micros than last year but still nothing like 3 or 4 years ago.

Maine has still seen very few fish this year save the very southern portions according to my contacts.

The question is, how old is a 25" fish? I have seen quite a few that size.

jimS
06-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Phil, lots of micros so far this year - a great sign for the future. The season so far as been pretty good wth a lot of large fish seen/caught. I'll be on the cape thru the end of June. I leave for Jul/Aug and return for the Sep/Oct period. Drop me a PM if you plan to fish this locale; although, RI/Conn seem to rock right now.

bonefishmon
06-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Will do Jim. So. County is doing well if you know your stuff. Like Sean said, it's been good thus far but maybe it's because he's gotten better at finding fish. I miss the eye candy that comes with fishing the Cape along with a shot at sight fishing. Bigger flats!

Phil

rooster
06-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Hey guys
I'll see you again next week.
Most of the crew has headed home, but Fred and Bob had some decent luck at Barnstable yesterday and Bass River the day before.
I had a pretty good week, last week-especially towards the end.
Save a few for me and I'll see you on the water on Weds.
Tight lines,
Dennis:lildevl: