Weekend Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Weekend Report

Splake
05-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Friday 5/15

Raced down to Chatham after work. After recent reports I wasn’t sure what the parking situation would be. Just two other vehicles in the lot. I fished for a little over 2 hours. There was allot of activity / bait out of range. One push reminded me of the first wave of a dam release. From where I was standing it looked to be 2 feet high and 50 yards wide and coming in my direction. It was all bait that veered right and further out of range. About a half hour later I managed to catch my only fish. It was a slim 30” Striper on a black and white Deceiver. I spotted only one other fly rodder on my way back in. He was down to the left of the stairs. I thought there would be more folks out there.

On the way out I saw 3 nice looking deer on the left side of the Causeway.

Saturday 5/16

I was able to sneak in a couple hours early in the morning. Fished a couple spots in Sandwich; 5 schoolies, nothing over 20”.

Sunday 5/17

Fished three different locations in Waqouit / Mashpee late afternoon. Nothing happening for me. Skunked.

Gseries69
05-18-2009, 11:53 AM
5/15 Fished Barnstable Harbor. Fished from shore this time instead of kayaks due to the winds. Nothing for the first couple of hours. Couple of spin guys walked down and headed started casting sluggos with heavy jig heads. They took fish on every other cast mid 20's to 30". We got nothing on the flyrods. We snuck in below the two other guys and asked if it was OK. They accomodated and buddy took a few small fish. Only had an intermediate line so I switched flies to a heavy clouser type called a guitar minnow. 5 inches long and olive over white. After several casts line came tight. After battling for 5 mins or so one of the spin guys helped land it and the other walked over with a tape measure. She measured just shy of 35". That's a top 5 for me to date. Afternon was spent chasing big blues and found plenty. All set on blues for the season.

5/16 sunny and clear skies. Fished same spot with out a bump. Spent the afternoon on the flats but had a high wind. Made sight fishing tough but was able to pick up a few shadows here and there. Tried a sparse sand eel pattern and got follows but no takes. Switched to a crab and the fish obliged. 3 fish up to 28".

5/17 kayaks in BH. Fish under birds but tough to chase in the wind. Took a few schoolies. Still no sign of micros.

Off to Florida next weekend for tarpon and reds in Mosquito Lagoon. See you all at the Clave.

jimS
05-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Great report! Barnstable can be very, very good. My observations is that it is hit/miss.

Good luck in Mosquito Lagoon. Its the right time, and weather permitting, it should be epic. Let us know how you do.

Jim Miller
05-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Hey JimS
How does that area fish in the Spring?
you know... the place you showed Todd & me last Fall. :D

jimS
05-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Jim, sent you a pm. As others have said, during the migration mode this time of year, they are here one day and gone the next. Moving around is the game plan. See you at the clave?

PopnesetBay
05-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Headed to cottage in Mashpee tomorrow. Mostly to continue remodel project but will fish AM' and PM's, between Waquoit and Poppy Bays. If you see a 'gimpy,old,grey-beard' wearing glasses and throwing a 2-hander please come up and say hello. Report when I get back.
Pete Readel

Jim Miller
05-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey JimS
Yup .... I'll be there w/ Loon and the Vermont contingent! Fri-Mon. Hope to fish with you! :D