My summer adventure! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: My summer adventure!

Dave17
05-15-2009, 01:05 PM
This is taken directly from my website. In a couple of weeks I'll be embarking on the fishing trip of a lifetime! There is an RSS feed on the blog page of the website. Please feel free to follow along, or better yet join me for a couple of days if time allows.

www.kopijflyfish.com

ď20 Years from now you will regret more the things you didnít do then the things you did. So cast off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Dream, explore, discoverĒ --- Mark Twain

Where to begin? The last year has been a difficult one for me as it has been for so many these days. Iíll spare everyone the details and skip right to one important day. April 3rd my fears were realized and I became one of the hoards to suffer from the downsizing of the financial industry ending a ten year run of continuous employment. Now that the dust has settled Iíve realized that what Iíve feared for the last nine months really isnít that bad at all. As a matter of fact, it has provided me with a once in a lifetime opportunity!

So what do you do when the financial industry is reeling and employment prospects look grim? For me the answer is to fish. Not just fish, but to put together the trip of a lifetime and explore as much water as I can cram into one summer. So the planning has begun and in mid-May Iíll embark on an adventure that will start in Cape Cod and end some ninety days later in British Columbia. Between point A and point B lie hundreds of blue ribbon rivers that would probably take a lifetime to visit one by one. With no set schedule Iíll be spending the majority of my time in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia.

Iíve set up this site for family and friends to be able to follow along during my trip. Iím hoping Iíll be able to update the blog section on a regular basis. Thanks for taking the time to take a look! If youíd like to follow along you can subscribe to the RSS feed on the Blog Page or email me.

n1gdo
05-15-2009, 01:24 PM
What a great attitude Dave... make lemonade out of lemons!!!!

I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted of where you are and how you are doing...

When on Cape Cod I am sure we will run into each other..

Stay well

your old Acklins bud

frank

Dave17
05-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Hey Frank,

Hope you're well. I'll be on the Cape for the clave and again from 6/20-6/28.

The motto for this trip is.... "when life gives you lemons, add alcohol:lildevl: "

vtloon
05-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Absolutely the right thing. Do it while you can; who knows when the chance may come again. At the Clave, remind me to tell you about my South American jeep trip...same sort of decision.

juro
05-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Damn! I feel like I am totally wasting my catastrophe now! ;)

Dream, explore, discover

Quentin
05-15-2009, 05:50 PM
I was out of work for over a year a few years ago. I'm still paying for it, but it was AWESOME! I didn't do any trips to exotic locations, but I got to spend loads of time fishing locally and made many trips to the coast.

Looks like you've got a great summer ahead of you. Enjoy! :D

Q

jimS
05-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Hey bud, good on you! Life's short and you've got your priorities in order (trite I know). Chris got downsized in the financial community, but is now with PNC. I'll see you at the clave, and I've got some info for you on Utah, a place you can't avoid for big browns.

FishHawk
05-15-2009, 07:13 PM
I've also been there . Laid off two years from retirement. Wish I had take a trip like your going to do but I have family obligation that prevented me from doing so.
You got to the the Missouri in Montana. I'll fill you in at the Clave . FishHawk:D

FLGator
05-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Dave,
Know your position and glad you're making the best of the situation. It's incredible actually...

Sent you an e mail too.

Safe travels!

Take care,
Chris

Smcdermott
05-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Dave,

Hit me up if you plan on spinning through RI...love to see if we can find some slobs on shrimp again...trip sounds awesome.

Sean

Dave17
07-09-2009, 11:51 AM
After a week of delays I'm finally leaving today! Thanks to all for the advice and directions:smokin: :smokin: .

If you'd like to follow along the website is:

www.kopijflyfish.com

juro
07-09-2009, 12:29 PM
WILDMAN! I will live vacariously through your adventures, Godspeed and tight lines.

petevicar
07-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Have a great time Dave.
Make sure that you only catch fish. :lildevl:

Tonto (your trusty scout)

FLGator
07-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Have a great adventure!

When you're out this way remember the door's open and you've got the number.

Dave17
07-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Quick update.....

Blew my engine in cheyenne wy. Car is being fixed but a huge setback. I write this from my tent on the side of a mt in Utah.

Got to the Green around 6 pm tonight. Made a couple of casts and landed an 18" brown..... No camera of course. Start floating tomorrow.

Bill my vehicle setback is making Mt unlikely by the 17th but let's talk about it.

Chris, would love to hook up in Id when I head that way..... Probably mid august.

These posts prob wouldn't do my English teachers proud but it's tough to type on this little screen.

More to follow.....

FLGator
07-14-2009, 12:32 AM
That totally stinks about the car! Sounds like you're making the best of the delay and finding some nice fish despite the circumstances.

Mid August sounds great. Give me a call when you get closer and we'll make arrangements to hit the water.

wrke
07-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Dave
In South Dakota at the moment, will arrive MT tomorrow. Sent you an email and voice message this morning. Will keep trying to get in touch. Hope all will go well so that we can hit the creeks.
Bill

Dave17
07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
I just wrapped up on the Green in Utah. What an incredible river! I'm back in a motel in Fort Collins CO waiting for my truck to get fixed. Caught countless fish. There was an incredible hopper hatch all week. Most of the fish were 16-18". No toads but did get a number of fish in the 18-21" range.

Here are some quality shots from river one.......

http://gallery.mac.com/dkopij#100510&bgcolor=black&view=grid

A quick video as well (may have to download quicktime but it's free)......

http://gallery.mac.com/dkopij#100495

The Bighorn is next. More to follow.......

jimS
07-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Dave, great pics and I know a good time on the Green. Did you fish/camp on Section B? Nice campsites along the river in that locale, and loaded! Section C sees virtually no pressure, and less fish, but bigger browns. Thanks for the post.

Dave17
07-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Only fished A and hiked into the upper section of B. The creek has blown out the bottom half of B so a float through B and C wasn't really worth it for the money.

jimS
07-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Dave, if we ever get the chance to linkup on the Green, I've got to show you B and C when Red Creek doesn't blow out the river. Chris and Brad are chafing at the bit to go again. It is world class, and if you ever get on a cliff overlooking a good pool (just below Little Hole, as an example), you'll see 30 inch bows. They are cannibals and night time is the right time.

juro
07-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Gorgeous scenery Dave - thanks for sharing. BTW my curiosity's got the better of me. What does Sadie do when you drift down river for several miles?

wrke
07-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Great stuff, Dave. And as I mentioned, I'll be on the Umpqua at the end of the month.
Bill

Dave17
07-22-2009, 12:29 PM
She sleeps on the back of the pontoon boat. She really is an angel of a dog. In the process of customizing a deck for her to make it a little bit more comfortable.

BigDave
07-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Awesome concept and great pics. I am jealous!

I'm curious - are you fishing solo? If so how are you getting back to your car after the float?

Dave17
07-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Yep, this is a one man operation. All the fly shops out here run shuttles so you can float these rivers. Its a lot of work in the morning but well worth it in the evening when the car is right there as you pull out.

Dave17
07-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Starting to get into some better fish. Brown and Rainbow are from the Bighorn. The cut is from the North Platte.....

http://gallery.mac.com/dkopij#100526&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Cole
08-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Wow amazing trip man! I'd love to do that someday! You definitely need to stop by Yellowstone, the fishing in the park can be epic.

If you really want to fish some great water, and you're up for a backpacking trip in, I would definitely recommend getting a back country site in the Yellowstone/hellroaring areas of the park. You can hike in and set up base right on the river. Same goes for the Lamar River sites.... In addition, you see much of the park that most people don't get a chance to.

Your trip has me wanderlusting for the west!

Cheers,

Cole

GMflyfish
08-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Seems like you have found a great way to spend the summer Dave. Enjoy it, as those opportunities don't come along all the time.
I also had an excuse (wedding) to make a trip out west, though shorter than yours. Spent 6 days on the Green - my first trip there, followed by 5 days on the Missouri, 4 days in Yellowstone Park and a single day on a little section of the North Platte in east central WY. Had a grand time, caught fish every day, though some days were pretty slow. Got some very nice browns, rainbows and cutts, but nothing really huge. Had a 21 inch brown on the Missouri that I believe I caught three mornings in a row.
If I can somehow forget about the many miles of driving (5500) and hours at the wheel I would be tempted to do a repeat trip. Gorgeous country.
Come back to the Cape in the fall.
GMflyfish