Cape report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cape report

Gseries69
05-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Fished Friday and Saturday ot of the kayak. Early season south side areas were still spotty for the most part. Took a few small fish with many casts. Either herring or pogies were seen splashing on top, did not see any squid.

Saturday fished the north side and found fish busting under birds. Best fish was 31" others were in the mid to high 20's. Fish shut down around 11:30.

Sunday wind kept us shore bound so we just scouted around Mashpee and Falmouth. Spoke to several anglers and there was a worm hatch in one of the Falmouth bays on Saturday.

Be back at it this weekend.

Redfisher
05-12-2009, 04:54 PM
I fished Pleasant Bay for an hour yesterday morning from shore. Caught 20" stripers on my first and second casts and four others over the next fortyfive minutes. The largest was 26".

A friend was down in Chatham sunday night trying to catch squid from the docks. He saw a lot of feeding stripers and a few squid but couldn't get the stripers to eat anything including bait.

Dan

jimS
05-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the reports. It appears that are striped friends have arrived in force, and it will only get better. Big, big tide on the 24th. It should rock!

Splake
05-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Itís been slow for me. Allot less action compared to last year at this time. Iíve been fishing south side spots between Osterville and Waquoit. I have yet to come across a large school. I fished the bay side yesterday before and after worked, and again this morning. A couple of hits last night but that was it. Absolutely no bait to be seen. Perhaps wrong tides, time, spots, fly etcÖ.
Iíll be at it tonight in Harwich.

The Bluefish should be here soon.

Rip Ryder
05-13-2009, 12:28 PM
It has been a slow start, but it has finally broken out.
Watched some guys yesterday morning at the Refuge bring in good numbers of fish and a few in the mid 20-30 inch range. The action was right at the bottom of the stairs at the refuge. Looking out from the over look you could see fish popping as far as the eye could see. Mostly pogies, but good numbers of fish pushing hard on the pogies even out in the middle of the channels.

This morning same time, same results. Lots of pogies along the beach and good reports of action all along Morris island from some regulars I met up with in the parking lot this am. I love being proven wrong. I really thought the Morris Island cut clogging up as bad as it has would have detered the fish from coming through in the southway in these kinds of numbers. Maybe they brought there own dredge:chuckle:

See you soon

Capt Keith