hooks & reels in carry on luggage [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: hooks & reels in carry on luggage

JJones
05-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Going for tarpon, snook, etc. this week, flying spirit from AC to tampa what is the
rules on hooks & reels w/ line in your carry on?

Thanks.

juro
05-05-2009, 02:25 PM
It's all in the face you make. If the security personnel is female chat her up no matter how unattractive. If male, talk sports :lildevl:

Seriously, here's what I do - I put enough in my carry on so I am not screwed when I get there if they lose my luggage and check the rest. For some reason when I have a travel rod in a case with reel pocket they just let it thru. Something about the case maybe? So I put a few flies in there too and they didn't look twice at it. Rod, reel, line and flies just in case.

good luck

nmbrowncom
05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
i never have a problem with reel carry ons. on one occasion i accidentally left my fresh water flies in my carry on. they let it go through without any problem. i later learned that for some reason flies are ok for carry on. that said, i always pack my flies in my checked luggage. there is so much discretion given to the inspectors, i don't trust that one of them will prohibit me from bringing them on board in my checked luggage.o

jimS
05-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Tarpon flies in carry-on could be a red flag. Otherwise you should be good to go. If you are going out-of-country, could be an issue returning with reels loaded with backing/line on the return.

Tim D
05-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Go to the TSA website and search "fishing". Fly reels and flies can be carried on.

Tin Pusher
05-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Go with Juro's advice. Tim's advice does not take into account that airport security can do whatever they want. There is only one true undeniable undisputable fact when it comes to fly gear and airline carry on.

"SOMETIMES THEY WILL LET IT ON AND SOMETIMES THEY WON'T"

No matter what someone tells you, no matter what you read on the internet, no matter what the TSA says.

Eric
05-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Amen to that, Tin Pusher.

Cheers,

Eric

Geordie Shanks
09-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Juro

Killer advice about the rod/reel/fly combo. I've gotten some moderate hassle about the rod tubes and have been asked once if they are guns. (FYI, don't throw your hands in the air and scream YES!! EVERYONE HIT THE GROUND!!! to try to lighten the mood-not that I did that, but it occured to me). I've been forced to check my rod once and my reels twice (something about a garotte for the line) and luckily, I had plenty of time but if it happened when I was in a hurry, I would be pissed.

Maybe I just look shifty? Might be time to shave the flame-styled sideburns......