Earth Day Awareness [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Earth Day Awareness

juro
04-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Post your Earth Day Awareness Message here.

Check out the rate of fisheries exploitation of humans over the past half-century:

http://www.google.com/gadgets/directory?synd=earth&preview=on&cat=featured&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmapplets.googlepages.com%2Fglobal _fisheries_catch.xml

juro
04-22-2009, 10:51 AM
I question the viability of the "Chilean Sea Bass" (Patagonian / Antarctic Toothfish) commercial fishery. Don't get me wrong it's one of my favorite to eat but like many other long-lived species (e.g. Atlantic Halibut) it's easy to fish to near-extinction.

The fishing industry refers to toothfish as "white gold" and illegal fishing far exceeds legal catches with estimates to 10x above legal limits (according to CCAMLR '97).

It was estimated that the illegal catch of Patagonian toothfish was ~100,000 tons (value exceeding AUD$760 million); also estimated that up to 90% of catch is taken by illegal unregulated means in select regions.

Since I support Whole Foods, and they always have a huge selection of this in their seafood dept (and I eat it regularly) I am going to contact WF on this as my Earth Day action. I'll let you know what they say.

Now I'm off to lunch... I think I'll have a salad :)

jimS
04-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Here's a link to a watchlist on seafood. Restaurants that regularly offer patagonian toothfish, marlin, orange roughy, farm-raised salmon, and other threathened/endangered or have a human consumption alert, are given a copy of the watchlist. www.blueocean.org/seafood

juro
04-22-2009, 09:40 PM
J M Cousteau's Orca part II (airing NOW on PBS) discusses the major impact of sea lice from salmon farms on catastrophic decline of wild salmon. Up to 60% of smolts are infested as they pass the farming operations which are allowed to set up in the paths of out-migrating juveniles. Folks in the PNW are all too familiar with this. The effect has been cascading into upper level predators - like orca and ourselves!

Great episode if you can catch it. FYI - the DVD is available at shopPBS.com.