Chatham Report April 17, 2009 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham Report April 17, 2009

juro
04-17-2009, 07:46 PM
The winter has really moved some real estate around. I haven't done much scouting but from what I have scoped out I can tell you this - a new "mecca" has formed and looks better to me than any ever before (for as long as it lasts anyway). The trend would imply that it is only going to get better thro the summer. The SB north corner (aka Big Girl Bar) is back with a vengeance and looking better than ever. EVER.

With both ends of the lower PB / inlet zone open (new cut to lighthouse) I am very optimistic that the lack of bait that made LH beach ho hum last couple of years is history, however it's possible that the fertile waters of PB pull a lot of forage up inside. I will be checking that out starting next month.

Anyway the Chatham inlet channel was swung back over to the south side after being on the north side recently and a submerged bar causes a whitewater rip stretching literally the entire span on the ebb which is reminiscent of the tip rip.

Let's put it this way, I won't even miss the southway this year if it stays like this. Pictures will follow next report (forgot my camera at my city apartment).

jimS
04-18-2009, 08:31 AM
I remember you and Striblue hooking some real cows during the heyday of "Big Girl." The new cut across from Minister's Point, as you pointed out, should also be interesting.

I wonder about the wading/swimming ban on Lighthouse Beach this year and its affect on being in the water and fishing. If enforced, 2-handers may be de rigueur.

striblue
04-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks Juro...it maybe great to hit that area, like times past, at 4AM... then make it to the RipRyder for a trip out at 8AM...would love to see the mecca back with such easy access. See you May 1st with the openning of CAC. I would be surprised at any enforcement of such a ban for fishermen...but it is also wise depending on how the bars set up to strap a CO2 suspendos preserver on you and fish with a partner.

juro
04-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Jim - I'll be giving the area a daily dawn recon starting mid-May. I completely agree, two-handers throw more grains further and pick up more line for the next cast which is a big benefit in the rip current conditions that bring those huge stripers to the inlet. This is no place for floating line flirtation, 550-600 grains of hi-density and the biggest deep eel you can tie to duck under the mid-depth current blast zone or go home.