Indian Ocean Explorer Hijacked in Seychelles [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Indian Ocean Explorer Hijacked in Seychelles

Swalt
04-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I just received an e-mail from The Angling Report that the Indian Ocean Explorer, a live aboard used for fishing the out islands in the Seychelles was hijacked March 28 and 29. It was hijacked off the Aldabra Islands which I believe include Cosmoledo, Farquar and other islands. The email said that the Seychelles government has canceled all trips aboard mother ships to the out islands for the remainder of the year. If you know anyone that had such a trip planned they need to contact the outfitter as soon as possible.

doctorsteve
04-08-2009, 02:51 PM
That would be unreal. I've been to Farquhar on a live aboard. I was worried a little because I had heard the rumors of pirates, but the fact that this actually happened.......
I'm sticking to the Bahamas. No pirates. Just baracudas...

jfbasser
04-08-2009, 03:51 PM
US Citizens that seek fishing adventures should always contact the State Dept to get the latest updates on risks and places to avoid. It costs the taxpayer quite a sum to rescue hostages and we put some of our best folks at risk to do it.

petevicar
04-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the info.
I know a few people who were planning to do one of these trips.

Vince
04-08-2009, 06:30 PM
That is scary! I hope it works out for all involved--except the pirates.

When we went, Dr. Steve, I was a little worried, but the Seychelles are so far off of the coast of Somalia that I doubted they would go that far.

I hoping Cuba opens up soon.

Swalt
04-08-2009, 07:22 PM
You can google it now if interested in the details. There was not a group of fishermen on the ship but divers. The divers were not on board when the ship was hijacked.
After doing some research on the recent hijackings it seems that the Somalian pirates expanded the area that they are operating in because of all the ships from different countries navies in the waters around Somalia.